Bolsover Custom and Self Build - How to Bid for District Council Land
Before bidding check
- Have you set your budget – do not get carried away with over bidding.
- Do your research on the site
- Does the site allow you to build what you want? (i.e. is there enough space, are there any design restrictions)
- Have you checked your design is likely to gain planning approval?
- Do you have enough funding to pay the deposit at close of bids (£250.00)
- Do you have funding in place or accessible ready to complete the purchase?
- Have you read the legal documents that advise you on the land sale- the sale contract, transfer and overage agreement?
Some of the key points from the legal documents are as follows:
- The property already has planning permission for residential development. The owner will however need to obtain prior approval for layout, scale, landscaping and the external appearance of any new dwelling. The owner will be required to apply for approval within 18 months of the date of the sale;
- The owner will be required to commence a start on site within 18 months of the date of planning application;
- The Council will have an option to repurchase if the owner fails to comply with the above requirements. The repurchase price will be the amount paid for the land less £1,000;
- If the owner sells the land before completion of the house a further payment to the Council may need to be made.
The Bidding Process
- The price stated on the website is the valuation and bids lower than the valued price will not be considered.
- Bolsover District Council is not obliged to accept any offer if it so chooses. For example - anyone not on the CSB register will not be able to bid.
- If your bid is successful you will be required to pay a non-refundable reservation fee of £250. You will then have 8 weeks in which to complete your purchase. The reservation fee will be deducted from the purchase price.
When making your bid you need to state
- What is the SK reference you are bidding for? (see site details).
- How much you are offering in pounds sterling.
- The name of person on the register.