We are committed to tackling the problem of empty properties in the region and support property owners to help bring homes back into use and we have a dedicated Empty Property Officer who can help owners of empty properties bring them back into use. If you are a landlord and would like us to help get your property back on the market either to sell or rent, or if you are a resident who has an empty property in our area; use our Empty Properties form to browse the properties available to rent or buy, as well as reporting properties that are empty in your area. Click here to view.


  • Choosing an agent to manage the letting of your property, 
  • Selling the property through an estate agent or auction,
  • Help and advicewhen renovating a property, 
  • Advertising property to let or for sale,
  • Matching Service – we have a list of organisations that are looking to bring empty properties back into use. You can use this service if you are looking to sell, lease or let your property.

A property that has been empty for over 2 years could qualify for a reduction in VAT to 5% on renovation works to bring the property back into use. Properties empty for over 10 years could qualify for a reduction in VAT to 0% on renovation works!

You can report a property that has been empty for over 6 months by using our Empty Properties form here, by emailing our Empty Property Officer, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  or telephoning 01246 242424.

We are eager to speak to owners of empty properties and may be able to offer advice and assistance, if you own an empty property we would be grateful if you could complete the appropriate form below:

For further information you can view the Council's Empty Properties Strategy.


Extreme Wheels

Our Extreme Sports (3.31MB) programme offers high impact bespoke extreme and action sport activities that we can provide anywhere in the country for a wide range of clients. Whether this is in the local park or a major intenrational event, we can provide tailor made programmes of exciting and dynamic activities to meet your needs in order to have a show stopping event.

Regardless of the type of organisation you are, we provide specialist advice and assistance in deciding the most appropriate activities for your occasion, advice on health and safety matters, risk assessments information and even guidance on event management in relation to our activities.

Our Extreme Wheel’s team all have a personal interest in these activities from undertaking or competing in their own time to instructing in these extreme/action sports. We will provide an exciting and motivational experience to participants and therefore your event/sessions will be a highly memorable experience for the individuals who take part!

Our Extreme Wheels will be hitting the road this summer right across the District. So what are you waiting for, grab your helmet and let's go!

  • Wheeled Sports Open or Close

    Wheeled sports are all the craze at the minute and we have a number of activities available for people of all ages and abilities to enjoy.

    Mobile Skate Park
    We provide a selection of mobile ramps, BMX bikes, skateboards and safety equipment. We also provide experienced staff throughout the session to ensure a safe but fun environment. Competitions can also be undertaken throughout the activity, providing all participants with new and challenging experiences

    BMX Racing Roadshow
    BMX Racing roadshows offer young people the opportunity to take part in the latest Olympic discipline. This activity can take place at a BMX track or a mock BMX track can be created on a field using ramps and cones. The BMX racing roadshow provides up to 16 BMX race bikes, full face helmets, elbow and knee pads, gloves, cones and ramps. Our coaches are British Cycling BMX Level 2 qualified, which is currently the highest BMX coaching qualification in the country.

    Go-Ride Coaching
    Go-Ride is a British Cycling development programme that aims to improve the basic ability of young people's cycling skills and get them involved with their local cycling club. Go-Ride sessions can be delivered within school and community settings. The activities that are involved with the Go-Ride programme are progressive cycling games that are coached by qualified cycling coaches.

    KMX Karting
    KMX Karting is still relatively new in this country but has proven to be very popular with young people and adults. KMX karts are three wheeled high performance sports trikes that are part go kart, part BMX. The KMX Karts come in two sizes and are fully adjustable to cater for young people from the ages of 6+.

    Whacky Wheels
    Whacky Wheels give people of all ages the opportunity to experience weird and wonderful wheeled contraptions. This product brings together a unique selection of equipment that people may never get the chance to use anywhere else.

    Mountain Biking
    Our mountain bike rides are fun and exciting for nearly any age and can be delivered almost anywhere. Our instructors are able to create rides that suit nearly all ability levels. We provide all the equipment needed for the rides and have a fleet of 20+ mountain bikes of different sizes. Also during the darker times of the year, this unit can offer night time rides using the latest high powered mountain bike lights. This gives a high adrenaline fueled experience to the participants!

  • Action Sports Open or Close

    Our Action Sports activities are fast, furious and a huge amount of fun for anyone age 7+

    Body Zorbs
    Body Zorbing is physical, exhilarating, and enormous fun for all ages. The user slides into a harness in the middle of a inflatable ball or bodyzorb and can then safely collide with other users, roll, fall, headstand, battle and bounce without risk of injury, great exercise and energetic!

    Upto 10 people can participate at any one time. This activity is suitable for indoor venues such as sports halls or flat grass surfaces.

    Master Blaster Laser Tag
    Never mind going to a laser quest experience, let our Master Blaster mobile laser tag arena come to you! Ten participants can experience an exciting range of games either as individuals or as part of a team. This is suitable for both indoor and outdoor locations at a venue of your choice. This activity requires 15m x 15m area and for outdoor venues requires a flat grass surface

    Whacky Olympics
    You've heard of it's a knock out, Whacky Olympics combines most of our activities to create an Olympic style discipline in which participants take part as either a team or individuals to see who is the best Whacky Olympian!

    Mobile Climbing Wall
    Our mobile climbing wall offers participants, whether they are beginners or more advanced climbers, the opportunity to challenge themselves on our all ability wall.

    As for the diddy climbers we can offer our baby bouldering wall for these energetic participants to scamble over! This unit is high impact and is always popular at events and can turn up to almost any venue to provide your very own extreme vertical activity.

    Cycle Maintenance
    Our cycle maintenance trailer is our newest unit which offers young people and adults the chance to gain the knowledge they need to keep their bikes maintained. This unit offers basic introductory sessions to an advanced programme of courses.

    Power Kiting
    Power kites have safety systems, so that there is very little risk involved, which is ideal for people participating in this exciting sport for the first time.



  • Ambition Mediation Services Open or Close

    Mediation is used to help people to resolve / work out conflict within their housing and prevent people becoming homeless. The mediation service we offer is completely impartial (not on anyone’s side) and we are not here to judge.  The aim of the service is to help you find a solution that is acceptable to all the people involved.

    Clients will need to live in one of the four authority areas Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derbyshire Dales or North East Derbyshire.

    We aim to help:

    • Young people who have run away from home

    • Young people who are about to be kicked out of home

    • Young people who are experiencing conflict with their family and have been asked to leave which may result in them becoming homeless

    • Young people who want to leave home without conflict

    • Young people who want to get back in touch with their family since leaving home

    The mediation service is now up and running, and referrals are being taken from front line Housing Options Teams, MAT Teams and Social Services. 

    To assist you in referring applicants for mediation we’ve put together a short guide of things to check before referring clients for mediation which you can download below.

    If you have any further queries about the service please don't hesitate to contact us.

    Mediation Policy

    Mediation Information

    Mediation Referral Form

    Jo Hayes
    North Derbyshire Housing Ambition Co-ordinator
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    Tel: 01246 217319

  • Employment Ambition Open or Close

    Employment Ambition is a new project covering North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Bolsover, Derbyshire Dales and Bassetlaw Local Authority areas.  Funded through the Sheffield City Region funding initiative, The project has been set up to:

    • Support young people aged 18-24 who are looking for work, claiming JSA and living within the five local authority areas

    • Provide tailored, person centred support, including a dedicated key worker for each young person

    • Raise aspirations and motivation through individual development plans

    • Remove and reduce barriers to ensure success, including reimbursement of expenses

    • Provide in work support for up to 26 weeks to ensure sustainable employment outcomes for young people

    • Access to a dedicated mental health support worker, finance and debt advisor, and housing and homelessness support

    • Back to work savings premium of up to £500 once a young person moves into work

    Ambition is the No. 1 service for young people. Get in touch today on 01246 217833 to discuss how we can help you achieve your ambition!

  • Housing Advice for Young People Open or Close

    Leaving home is a big step for most young people and needs to be planned. There are three main things that you need to think about:

    1. What type of property will you live in?

    2. Can you afford to move?

    3. Are you ready to live on your own?

    The hardest way to leave home for the first time is in a crisis or after a big arguement, of course sometimes people have to leave home for their own safety, but in most cases it is better either stay at home or to take some time to plan your move.  

    If you would like further advice about your housing options then please contact your local council and ask to speak to their Housing Options Team or Homelessness Prevention Team.

    Chesterfield Borough Council                 01246 345825
    North East Derbyshire District Council     01246 231111
    Bolsover District Council                        01246 242424
    Derbyshire Dales District Council            01629 761311

    If you need assistance outside office hours contact the Emergency Duty Team
    (after 5pm Monday – Friday and at weekends)

    Tel: 01629 533190

    If you are thinking about leaving home the leaflet here outlines all the things you need to consider before leaving.

  • Housing Ambition Strategic Partner’s Forum Open or Close

    The HASP forum is an ongoing group with meetings held every other month.  The next meeting will be held on:

    The forum is for managers whose staff will engage with 16 – 24 year olds.  

    The key aim of the forum is to facilitate and increase joint working around young people and housing between the four authorities North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Bolsover & Derbyshire Dales in order to both save money and improve outcomes for young people. 

    Minutes from previous meetings:

    July 2016

    May 2016

    March 2016

    January 2016

    November 2015

  • Positive Pathway Open or Close

    Is about giving parents and young people the relevant and realistic information they need to come to their own decisions. Evidence shows that young people are staying at home longer where this is an option. Understanding what the housing options are in the local area and being able to plan for the future is important for all young people and their families. Identifying gaps in supply and meeting the needs of those who have no option to remain at home is a key role for public authorities and housing providers.

    The Positive Pathway framework proposes a universal offer of access to information and advice for young people and their families or carers to help them understand the housing options available and to inform decisions they make.

    For those at risk of homelessness or unable to meet their housing needs through their own resources and networks there is a need to advise, assist and provide access to planned options at an early stage before a crises emerges. For those facing homelessness there should be an integrated service response, with access to a range of supported housing options via a targeted and integrated single point of entry.

  • Resources and Referrals Open or Close

    The aim of the Universal referral is to strengthen working together and the implementation of a coherent pathway for North Derbyshire. 

    The flowchart at the bottom of this page should make it clear how the process will work and under what circumstances the form should be used.

    We will not expect all parts of the form to be completed in all cases, as you will see from the flowchart Housing Ambition will triage the referral to make sure it goes to the correct partner(s).  Please send any referrals to:

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

    The documents below contain information on all services available to young people across North Derbyshire and were compiled from mapping exercises.  

    Ambition Universal Referral 2016

    Universal Referral Flowchart

    Pathway Plan 

    Please click on the links below for further information on the services available for young people:

  • Schools Projects Open or Close

    Housing Ambition delivered a successful Schools Homelessness Prevention Project over the academic year 2015/16. Visiting 16 schools across Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire, Bolsover & Derbyshire Dales areas to deliver a 1 hour lesson to pupils aged from aged 12 – 16.

    The project reached almost 3,000 students in total and covered topics such as the reasons young people can become homeless, housing options, budgeting and money and where to go for advice.

    Please see our School Statistics for a full breakdown of communications with the schools.

    The ways in which a schools homelessness prevention project can be delivered county wide are currently being looked at so more information on this will follow.

    f you would like further information on schools project or if you would like us to come and speak to any young people you are working with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the contact on this page.


Council Tax

  • Appeals Open or Close
    There are many circumstances in which you may make an appeal against your property's banding. For example there may have been a structural change, part or all of the property may have been demolished or there may have been changes in the area that might affect the value.

    You may also appeal against the banding of a new property or against an alteration in your banding made by the Valuation Office.
    If you have recently moved house, you have six months from the date you moved in to make an appeal.

    Appeals should be made to the Valuation Office at the following address:

    The Valuation Office Agency
    Listing Officer
    Council Tax East
    Ground Floor
    Ferrers House
    Castle Meadow Road
    NG2 1AB

    Main Switchboard Tel: 03000 501 501

    For full details of the grounds for appealing against your banding visit the Valuation Office web site at www.voa.gov.uk
    If you do make an appeal against your banding you must still pay your council tax bill. If your appeal is successful, your bill will be adjusted and any overpayments will be refunded to you.
  • Band Charges Open or Close
    The amount payable depends on the value of the property and, whilst Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993, the valuations are based on the open market values as at 1st April 1991. All domestic properties are valued and placed in one of eight valuation bands by the Independent Valuation Agency.  A Listing Officer at the Valuation Office is responsible for compiling, maintaining and notifying the Council of the banding of a property.
    Please use the what's my council tax calculator on this page for your area's tax band.

    The eight valuation bands are:

    Band A - Values not exceeding £40,000  
    Band B - Over £40,000 but not over £52,000 
    Band C - Over £52,000 but not over £68,000
    Band D - Over £68,000 but not over £88,000 
    Band E - Over £88,000 but not over £120,000
    Band F - Over £120,000 but not over £160,000
    Band G - Over £160,000 but not over £320,000
    Band H - Values exceeding £320,000 

    Each band is subject to a different level of tax; Band A will have the lowest tax and Band H the highest.  The relevant band for your dwelling will be shown on your Council Tax bill
  • Change of Circumstances Open or Close
    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    Moving House
    If you qualify for a discount disregard  
    Someone has passed away  
    If you live alone  
    If someone has moved in with you  
    Any other changes?  e.g.  Change of Name, Change in method of payment.  

    Please fill in the Change of Circumstances (478KB) form if any of the changes affect you, or telephone us using the contact details on this page.

  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    From April 2013 Council Tax Benefit ended and was replaced by a localised scheme known as Council Tax Support (835kb).

    The scheme that we have adopted is as follows:

    • The calculation remains unchanged, with the same rules applied as with Council Tax Benefit. However, any person of 'working age' will be subject to an 8.5% reduction in their calculated benefit entitlement.

    For example, a person with a weekly Council Tax liability of £20.00 that previously qualified for maximum benefit e.g. £20.00 per week will now only be entitled to £18.30 per week. A person with a weekly Council Tax liability of £20.00 per week that previously qualified for £10.00 per week will now only be entitled to £9.15 per week.

    The above changes apply to all 'working age' claimants except those in receipt of either a war disablement pension or a war widows pension.

    Regulations set by Central Government state that the above changes cannot be applied to claimants of a pensionable age. A person is a pensioner if they have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit and they are not, or, if they have a partner, their partner is not in receipt of income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or universal credit.

    Social Fund Maternity and Funeral Expenses

    Whilst Pensioner's will not be directly affected by the ending of Council Tax Benefit and the introduction of Council Tax Support this change may impact upon any future claim's under the Department for Work and Pensions Funeral Scheme.

    Previously, entitlement to Council Tax Benefit automatically qualified both working and pensionable age claimants to assistance from the Funeral Scheme. This scheme exists to provide assistance to those 'least well off' in meeting the costs of a funeral for a family member or friend that they are responsible for. Pensioners may lose the right to automatic qualification once Council Tax Benefit ends in April 2013.

    If you would like further information regarding Social Fund Maternity and Funeral Expenses please visit:

  • Discounts Open or Close
    If you consider that a property you own is uninhabitable you should provide us with full details. The Council Tax visiting officer may have to carry out an internal inspection. As a guide, a damp proof course, new windows, new kitchen/bathroom do not make a property uninhabitable for Council Tax purposes. If ownership of a property changes it will not renew entitlement to this discount.
    In addition, certain people are not counted when calculating the number of residents in a dwelling, These are called 'disregarded persons'. If someone in your household falls into one of the specified classed listed you may be entitled to a discount.
     The main categories are:
     With any discount we will seek confirmation of your status and eligibility. If you believe you are entitled to a discount please contact us immediately. Following the award of any discount you must notify us immediately if your situation alters and the circumstances giving rise to a discount change.
  • Exemptions Open or Close

    There are circumstances when no Council Tax is payable. However, this depends on individual circumstances and these are highlighted in our Exemption Classes document.

    You should pay full Council Tax at your main residence and you can claim a discount on an empty property or a second home. Some empty properties may be exempt from charge for up to a year.

    Exempt Property Classes

  • General Council Tax Information Open or Close

    The Council Tax that you pay is used to help finance the services provided by not only Bolsover District Council but also by the following authorities:

    • Derbyshire County Council
    • Derbyhire county Council - Adult Social Care
    • Derbyshire Police Authority
    • Derbyshire Fire and Rescue
    • Parish Councils (if applicable)

    The Council Tax is then calculated after taking into account the grants received from Central Government. Council Tax is charged for every property within the District. There is one bill per household and Council Tax is all due and payable on 1st April each year. However, legislation allows for 10 monthly instalments, but as of April 2013, legislation now also allows for 12 monthly instalments. To request this you must apply to us either in writing or by email.


    Bolsover District Council Council tax Information by Revenues, Income and Parish

    Derbyshire County Council Financial Information 2019 – 20

    Derbyshire Police Financial Information 2019 – 20.

    When contacting us:

    Please be aware that we can only discuss an account with the person named on the bill. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form and return to the Council.

    Please note

     From the 15th February 2018 and to comply with regulation, the Authority will not be able to process card payments from customers using the web browsers listed here.

  • How To Pay Open or Close

    Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevent contact details are on the contacts box on this page:

    • Direct Debit payments - this is the quickest and most convenient way to pay your bill. You can set up a Direct Debit by either telephoning us on 01246 242440 or by completing the Direct Debit (1.34MB) mandate. You can choose to pay on 1st, 7th, 15th, 21st or 28th of each month.
    • Telephone - You can pay through your own bank's telephone/on-line services
    • Pay online - You can make payments on our website through our secure payments page. **
    • You can pay by cash or debit card at the kiosks at any of our Contact Centres in Bolsover, Clowne, Shirebrook or South Normanton
    • Debit Card - You can pay by Debit Card over the telephone. Please ring 0300 4560503 and follow the step-by-step instructions.  You can ring at any time, the service is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 

    From the 15th February 2018 and to comply with regulation, the Authority will not be able to process card payments from customers using the web browsers listed here.

    If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite.

  • Recovery Open or Close

    If you are experiencing financial difficulties in paying your Council Tax bill you need to tell us immediately so we can help you. Please do not wait until you are behind with your payments before seeking advice. We have also introduced our own Debt Recovery Policy (223kb).

    The Law Says...Council Tax becomes due on 1st April each year. However, under normal circumstances the law allows payment to be spread over 10 months from April to January, reducing as the year progresses. You are only entitled to be sent up to two reminders for Council Tax before losing the right to pay by instalments.

    This is how it works...

    1. On the first occasion that you fail to pay an instalment by the due date (this is the date specified on your bill) a reminder will be sent to you. If you pay the amount requested promptly at this stage and remain up-to-date with payments you will maintain the right to pay by instalments. If, however, you fail to pay the amount requested by the due date, a summons will be issued. The summons will increase your debt as court costs will be added and you will lose the right to pay by instalments for the rest of the year. The whole of the year's Council Tax, which remains outstanding will become payable immediately.
    2. If you have had one reminder and paid it promptly, but then fail to pay by the due date a second time, the same procedures as above will apply.
    3. If you fail to pay on time for a third time in a year you will be sent a final reminder. This means the right to pay by instalments will be lost for the remainder of the year, even if you brought your account up-to-date on the previous occasions. The whole amount for the year must be paid in full within 7 days. If you fail to pay the full amount a summons will be issued and court costs added to your account. Please pay on time to avoid any additional costs.

    What to do if you have received a Council Tax summons

    1. If you have been sent a summons, it will be because our records show that you were sent a Council Tax bill requiring instalment payment on specified dates. You were then sent a reminder informing you that one or more instalments were overdue. The reminder warned you that you would lose your right to pay by instalments if a payment was not made within 7 days. As you have not paid, this right has now been withdrawn and the summons is for the full amount outstanding for the year including costs incurred to date which are now added to the sum due.
    2. If you paid your bill recently, have already paid all outstanding instalments shortly before receiving the summons, or if the summons is incorrect in any way then you need to contact our Recovery Section to ensure that your payment has been correctly credited to your account and to discuss your case. If the summons is subsequently withdrawn by the Council, please help us by ensuring your future instalments are paid by the due date. The best way to ensure that your instalments reach us on time is to pay by Direct Debit (1.3mb). If you have a bank account you can take advantage of this easy option; a direct debit can be set up over the telephone.
    3. If the court decides that Council Tax has been set correctly and all documents issued in accordance with legislation, and that you have not paid the full amount outstanding, it will grant us a "liability order". This order will give us power to obtain payment in a number of ways, as we may choose. These include your account being passed to the Council's Enforcement Agents, deductions from earnings or Income Support/JSA/ESA, charging order, bankruptcy proceedings, committal to prison.
    4. Once the summons is correctly issued, the proceedings can be stopped only by making payment in full. This payment must be received by us before the date of the court hearing. Post dated cheques will not be accepted. It is important that your case is easily identified as one to be stopped. To enable us to do this, please write your account reference and summons number on the reverse of your cheque. If paying by cash, please enclose a note showing your account reference and summons number. Payments will not be accepted at the court.
    5. If you are unable to pay the full amount immediately, you need to contcat our Recovery Section immediately.

    If you have not already claimed Council Tax Support, you may wish to do so now. However, this will not prevent further action on this summons.

    Should I attend the Court?

    It is your right to attend the court hearing to present your case if you feel that you are not liable for the amount shown on the summons. However, the only legal reasons why a liability order will not be granted are that the amount has not been legally demanded or that it has been paid. It is easier, quicker and cheaper to sort out all matters before the hearing by contacting our Recovery Section.

    When you attend court, the court staff will be available to direct you to the court room where the application will be heard. While every effort will be made to ensure the application will be dealt with on the date specified in the summons sent to you, in the event that there is insufficient court time for it to be heard on that day, you will then be given details of the date and time you are next required to attend court.

    For independent advice and information you can contact your local:

Benefits and council tax


  • Appeals Open or Close

    If you are unhappy with the decision made regarding your benefit, there are several options available to you.

    Do you think our decision is wrong?

    As soon as you get our decision letter you should check its content. If you think we have made a mistake. You can ask for more information.

    If you think that we have made a mistake you can request the following:
    That we look at our decision again, or that we pass your case to an independent tribunal that is run by the Tribunals Service, by appealing against the decision.
    If you want us to look at our decision again, or if you want to appeal, you must write and tell us why you think our decision is wrong within one calendar month of the date of the letter notifying you of the decision.

    We will check your claim thoroughly and take account of any more information you have provided with your written request. It may also mean that we have to contact you for further information.
    We could then:

    • Change our decision and pay you more benefit;
    • Change our decision and pay you less benefit; or
    • Decide the decision is already correct and therefore make no changes.

    In any of the above cases we will write to you to let you know what we have decided and the reasons for the decision.
    If you have asked us to look at your case again, and you are still not happy with our decision, you can still appeal. Your case will then be referred to the Tribunals Service. You must do this in writing, within one calendar month of the date of our decision letter. If you appealed we will pass your case to the Tribunals Service. We will do this if we have not changed our decision or if we have changed our decision and we are now paying you less benefit.

    If your appeal is late, and we do not accept your reasons for the delay, your case will still be passed to the Tribunals Service for consideration.

    The Tribunals Service
    If we are unable to alter our decision we will prepare your case for an Independent Tribunal and tell you if you need to do anything further.
    These are administered by the HM Courts and Tribunal Service. We will send both you and the HM Courts and Tribunals Service a copy of our response. You can choose an oral or paper based hearing. The tribunal will then make a decision on your appeal.

  • Benefits Calculator Open or Close

  • Change of circumstances Open or Close

    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    • Have you moved house?
    • Do you qualify for a discount disregard?
    • Has someone passed away?
    • Do you live alone?
    • Has someone moved in with you?
    • Any other changes? e.g. Change of Name, Change in method of payment.

    You should therefore inform us of any changes to your circumstances. You can do this by email, post or by visiting one of our Contact Centres. You can download a change of circumstances form here.

  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    From April 2013 every local council had to devise its own local scheme to replace the former national Council Tax Benefit scheme. A copy of the Council Tax Support regulations can be viewed here

    The government also reduced the amount of money it gave to local councils for this by 10%. Pensioners continue to receive the same level of help under the local schemes as they did under the former national scheme, under the new rules. You can download the housing benefit and council tax support form here, or if you prefer, you can also apply online here.

    The changes meant that anyone in the Bolsover District is of working age and who was in receipt of full Council Tax benefit now has to pay at least 8.5% of their Council Tax.
    Regulations set by Central Government state that the above changes cannot be applied to claimants of a pensionable age. A person is a pensioner if they have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit and they are not, or, if they have a partner, their partner is not in receipt of income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or universal credit.

  • Discretionary Housing Payments Open or Close

    If you are entitled to some help towards your rent, you may be able to apply for an additional award known as a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). You can also do this if you receive a Housing Element within your claim for Universal Credit.  DHPs are paid on top of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to people who find that the shortfall between their benefit and their housing costs causes them exceptional hardship. 

    DHPs can only be paid up to the maximum amount of eligible rent that is due, and cannot be paid for some service charges included in the rent, for example water charges. They are also only intended to be a temporary top up, so will not be paid indefinitely. It is expected, during any period of Discretionary Housing Payments award, that you take measures to make paying your rent more affordable. Those measures would include; trying to negotiate a lower rent with your landlord, finding alternative accommodation that you can afford, increasing your income (either taking on employment or increasing the hours you already work), claiming other Benefits which you have not already claimed but to which you may be entitled or reducing your current expenditure (cancelling ongoing contracts e.g. TV Subscriptions, mobile telephone contracts or clearing outstanding debts).

    The amount of money the Council is allowed for DHPs is limited, and therefore awards are made at the Council's discretion, and each application will be considered on it's own merits.
    You must make any application for a Discretionary Housing Payment in writing, giving us the reasons why you cannot afford the shortfall between your benefit and your housing costs. We will notify you of our decision in writing. If we turn you down you can ask us to consider your application again, but there is no formal right of appeal.
    Please download the DHP form (207kb) here.

  • Fraud Open or Close

    We have a duty under benefit regulations to ensure that benefit is only paid to bona fide persons.
    We carry out investigations where it is felt that claimants are receiving benefit to which they are not entitled. Benefit fraud is a crime and is dealt with in the appropriate way. This action could be prosecution in Court, possibly leading to a criminal record or imprisonment. Anyone found committing benefit fraud will have to pay back any money to which they had no entitlement and some may have additional action taken against them.

    If you know, or suspect, that a person is claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support that they are not entitled to please contact us immediately. For example someone could:

    • Claim benefit for a property and live somewhere else;
    • Have other people living in the property but they have not told us about them;
    • Are working and claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance;
    • Have failed to declare to us ALL of their income; or Have failed to inform us about their savings or investments (including property that they own).

    If you believe someone to be claiming benefits fraudulently, you can call us or contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

  • General Benefits and Council tax Information Open or Close

    The Housing Benefit scheme is administered under legislation and regulations issued by central government to assist residents, on a low income, to meet the costs of their rent.

    There are several types of benefits you may be able to claim to assist with your rent including rent rebate, rent allowance or Local Housing Allowance (LHA). You can also use the benefits calculator to calculate your Housing Benefit entitlement before applying and we have also introduced our own Debt Recovery Policy (223kb).

    • Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) – 0844 848 9800
    • Welfare Rights – email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or telephone: 01629 531535
    • Derbyshire Unemployed Workers Centre – 01246 231441
    • Advice Derbyshire – 0844 848 9800
    • 2 Shires Credit Union – 01909 500575
    • National Debt line – 0808 808 4000
    • Release – 01773 306289 or 07932 088331

    Need Assistance with your claim?

    We may be able to offer you with assistance in applying for Benefits or maintaining your data. If you are unable to visit one of our Contact Centres and would like a Visiting Officer to assist you, in your own property, please contact us on 01246 242436.

    We can visit you to offer you assistance with completing a new claim form, providing details or evidence in support of your new claim or a change in circumstances. We would generally contact you, prior to visiting, to arrange a mutually convienient time and would always carry photographic Bolsover District Council endorsed ID.

  • Local Housing Allowance Open or Close

    If you are a private tenant, renting property or a room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

    How do I claim?
    You must contact us for an application form or download one on the 'Benefits' page. You can visit us in person or telephone us for advice. Complete your application form and return it with all the relevant original documents as soon as possible. The claim form tells you exactly what you need to send us. You may also claim as part of another claim for a separate government benefit, allowance or Pension Credit.

    LHA is a way of calculating Housing Benefit. The calculation is based on the area in which you live and the number of bedrooms your personal circumstances require. It ensures that tenants in similar circumstances, residing in the same area and receiving the same amount of financial support and receive a consistent amount towards their housing costs.

    As the LHA is based on your housing needs (rather than your actual housing costs), you can decide if you want to rent a property where the rent is above or below your LHA rate (128kb). Where the rent is more than your LHA rate you would be required to pay the difference between your assessed LHA rate and your actual rental liability.

    LHA applies to:

    • Claimants who claimed for the first time after the 7th April 2008;
    • Claimants who have changed address after the 7th April 2008; (Please note that this also includes people who have changed rooms within the same property) Claimants who are reclaiming after a gap in their claim of at least one week;
    • LHA does not apply to:
    • Existing Housing Benefit claimants (who do not fall under any of the above);
    • Tenants of Housing Associations or other Social/Charitable Landlords;
    • Council Tenants;
    • Tenants who live in Hostels (NACRO)/Houseboats/Mobile Homes or Caravans;
    • Tenants whose tenancy began before 1989;
    • Tenants whose rent includes a substantial element of Board/Lodging;
    • Tenants in shared ownerships;
    • Any letting that is 'exempt' accommodation; (where the care, support or supervision provided by the Landlord and is on a more than 'minimal' basis)
    • All 'non-LHA' tenants will continue to be assessed under the 'pre LHA' Housing Benefit scheme.

    The LHA rates are decided by the Rent Officer. This was also the case with the 'pre April 2008' Rent Officer Decisions. The Rent Officer will set the rates annually each April, taking into account the Consumer Price Index (CPI) when determining the forthcoming years rates. The figures are then passed through to us to advertise to our customers and to use in the assessment of claims.
    The amount of LHA you receive is determined by: The area you live in, this is known as the Broad Marker Rental Area (BRMA); and Who lives in your House with you, known as the size criteria.
    You can find out which BRMA you property is located in by clicking here. You can also calculate your 'size criteria'.

    Central Government have introduced 'caps' to the amount of LHA from the 1st April 2011 and the government website Gov.uk will provide you more information on this. This means that no area in the UK will receive LHA rates above the following:

    • £250.00 per week for a one bedroom property
    • £290.00 per week for a two bedroom property
    • £340.00 per week for a three bedroom property
    • £400.00 per week for a four bedroom property

    Current LHA Rates
    LHA rates are frozen for a period of one year and reviewed annually in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI). This will replace the previous requirement to review the LHA amount used for each individual based on their unique annual anniversary date. This date was previously determined based on their date of claim, date they changed address or the date there was a significant change in their household circumstances.

    Current LHA rates 2019/20

  • Non-Dependants Open or Close

    A non-dependant generally is a grown up Son or Daughter, Friend or Relative that lives within your household.

    If you have a non-dependant adult, living in your household, your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support could be subject to a non-dependant deduction, dependent upon their income, age, and your disability status. This is because it is assumed that the non-dependant will contribute towards your rent, rates and/or Council Tax.

    There will be no non-dependant deduction where the claimant is:

    • registered blind or has recently regained their sight
    • receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) - at any rate
    • receives Attendance Allowance - at any rate

    When a deduction is made:
    One non-dependant deduction will be applied per non-dependant (or non-dependant couple) in your household. For non-dependants in renumerative work the level of deduction is based on their Gross earnings rather than their NET earnings. The lowest deduction will be applied for any non-dependant NOT in work, regardless of their income from state benefits or private pensions.

    Non-dependants with no deduction:

    • A non-dependant aged under 18
    • A non-dependant in receipt of Pension Credits (either kind)
    • A non-dependant aged under 25 receiving a passported benefit (excluding 'main phase' ESA)
    • A Youth Trainee
    • A non-dependant in prison or similar detention
    • A non-dependant who has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
    • A temporary resident or visitor
    • A full time student (during a period of study)
    • A full time student (during a vacation period providing they are not in remunerative work during this period of time)

    For any non-dependant in work a deduction will be applied to your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support dependent upon the level of their Gross income.

  • Overpayments Open or Close

    An overpayment is when benefit has been paid to someone but they are not entitled to receive it. It is therefore important that you notify us of any change in circumstance as soon as possible in order to avoid being overpaid Housing Benefit. We have the discretion to recover all overpayments, except in some cases when the overpayment has come about as a result of 'official error'. Overpayments that are caused by 'official error' cannot be recovered, unless it was reasonable for the tenant or landlord to have known that they were being overpaid. Overpayments can be recovered from either the person who caused the overpayment, or the person who received the overpayment.

    How are overpayments recovered?

    If Housing Benefit is still in payment; it is likely that we will recover any overpayment by reducing the amount of benefit you receive each week. Using the amount reduced from your benefit to reduce the outstanding overpayment. You must then make up the difference to your Landlord to avoid accumulating rent arrears. 
    If Housing Benefit is no longer in payment; it is likely that we will issue the person from whom we are seeking recovery with an invoice for the overpaid amount. An arrangement should then be made with our recovery department to pay back the overpaid amount. 
    If Housing Benefit payments have been made to the Landlord; we may ask the Landlord to repay the amount in certain circumstances. 
    If you are on Social Security benefits; we can ask the Department for Work and Pensions to make deductions from your benefit to recover the overpayment. 
    If you have vacated our area; we can ask your new Local Authority to recover the overpayment from your Housing Benefit that is paid by them. 

    The decision on how we choose to recover the overpayment is at our discretion and can not be appealed. If an invoice remains unpaid, or someone does not keep to an arrangement to repay the debt, over time this will lead to further action being taken. This may include pursuing the debt in the County Court.

    What if I cannot afford the recovery rate being taken?

    If you want us to look again at the amount we take from your Housing Benefit please contact us. In order to reach a decision, to reduce the amount we take, we may ask for more information.
  • Self Employed Open or Close

    If you are self employed and on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. In order for us to determine if you are eligible we will need to look at your net weekly income from your self employed earnings and any other income and capital that you may have.

    In order to support your application for Housing Benefit we request that you provide your last six months income and expenditure accounts for your business. These do not have to be audited by a professional accountant but should show all of your weekly/monthly income and expenses. If you have only just become self employed we will require a 13-week forecast of your projected earnings and expenditure. We will then review your claim after this period to ensure that the income we are using for you is correct and that you are receiving the right amount of benefit.

    If you have not kept records of your self employed accounts you should complete a 'Self Employed' proforma and provide this in support of your application for benefit. However, it is advised that for future purposes that you keep weekly/monthly records of your income and expenditure as this will be required to assess any future benefit entitlement. You may also be required to provide these in support of your Income Tax returns.

  • Students Open or Close

    Most students in full-time higher education cannot claim Housing Benefit. If you are a student you can only claim if you are:

    • studying part-time; or  

    • under 19 and on a course which is NOT a higher education course; or  

    • a single parent; or  

    • a student with a disability; or  

    • 60 or over; or  

    • one of a couple, both of you are students and you have dependant children.

  • Universal Credit Open or Close

    Universal Credit is a new benefit that has been introduced by the government and is currently being rolled out across the country. It replaces six means tested benefits and is designed to help people who are unemployed or on a low income. These are referred to as ‘legacy’ Benefits. It affects people of working age. The means tested Benefits that Universal Credit has replaced are as follows:


    • Housing Benefit
    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Related)
    • Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Child Tax Credits
    • Working Tax Credits

    From the 21st November 2018 all properties within the Bolsover District Council area now fall under ‘Full Service’ Universal Credit legislation. This means that you are no longer able to submit a NEW claim for Housing Benefit unless you meet any of the following criteria:

    • You are of Pension Age
    • You already receive a Severe Disablement Premium within an existing ‘legacy’ Benefit
    • You are residing in Supported Accommodation

    If you are needing assistance towards paying you Housing Costs, and none of the above criteria applies to your circumstances, you should now instead claim for Universal Credit. You can apply for Universal Credit here.

    If you are currently claiming universal credit, or think this may affect you in the future, then you need to start preparing for the full service rollout. Universal Credit is a fully digital service - this means that you have to claim online and your claim thereafter is managed online. As a part of your Universal Credit claim you must have access to an email account as you will receive all of your claim correspondence through email.
    You will need to have a transactional bank account / Building Society account / Credit Union account to receive your Universal Credit payments. Your Universal Credit will be paid monthly in arrears; this means you will need to start to plan to budget monthly.
    Further information regarding Universal Credit is also available on the Governments website

    Council Tax Support

    Whether you claim Universal Credit, or Housing Benefit, you will still need to apply for Council Tax Support directly with Bolsover District Council.
    More information on Council Tax Support, and the claims process, can be found under the Council Tax Support drop down on this webpage.





Customer Service contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242424
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top