• Applying for Council Housing Open or Close

    Before you are able to be offered a Council property you need to be on our Housing Register. The booklet Housing Application Guide (659kb) gives information on completing the application form (465kb). Please note that any applicant who completes the housing application form and is living in rented accommodation (excluding Bolsover District Council tenants) you will have to have the private and confidential checklist (165kb) completed by your current landlord otherwise your application will not be processed.

    If you need further assistance in completing the form, or answering any of the questions, this is available at any of our Contact Centres.

    Once your application has been received, points will be awarded, determined by housing need, but priority will be given to persons occupying unsatisfactory or temporary housing, or are vulnerable for other social, economic or medical reasons.

    For further details please see our Choice Based Lettings booklet (608kb) leaflet or the full Housing Allocation Policy (608kb).

    Bolsover Lettings

    Bolsover Lettings is our Choice Based Lettings System. This system allows anyone with an active application on the housing waiting list, to search, select and apply for a new home of their choice across Bolsover District and its Sub Regional partners (within the usual eligibility criteria).

    Bolsover Lettings gives you more choice about where you want to live. It also gives you a better idea of what properties are available in your area. Every week we will advertise most of the available Council and in time Housing Association properties. You can look at the adverts and decide whether you want to be considered for any of the properties advertised.

    Properties will be advertised on the website and will be displayed at our Contact Centres.

    To bid for a property you can:

    • On the internet 
    • Through Contact Centre employees.

    Mutual Exchanges

    Please note that the swap and move service was discontinued on 18th May 2018.

    Bolsover Lettings has now subscribed to Homeswapper's online mutual exchange service.  Homeswapper is the UK's largest community of social housing tenants looking for a home swap.  It is a quick and easy way of finding both local and national moves with over 500,000 tenants currently registered.  Registering with HomeSwapper is a quicker option than waiting for a move on our Transfer List.

    HomeSwapper matches you with other tenants who you may wish to swap homes with.  Swaps are available both locally and nationally.  As a tenant of Bolsover District Council you can use HomeSwapper free of charge.

    How to use HomeSwapper

    *     Visit HomeSwapper on www.homeswapper.co.uk to register or download the FREE app, available on the App store and on Google Play

    *     Enter details of your current home and home you want

    *     See any possible swaps

    After you have registered your application the Housing Department will originally need to approve your application and after that you will be able to use the website to contact anyone you are interested in swapping with. When you register you can sign up to receive a regular email telling you when there are any new swap properties that meet your requirements.

    Further details are available on the Bolsover District Council website or by contacting the Housing Department on 01246 242424.

  • Bolsover Lettings Open or Close

     Bolsover Lettings is designed to give you better access to your housing options. Details will be published on this web page highlighting the properties currently available, you can then decide which properties you wish to be considered for and contact us on 01246 242424.

    If you are currently on the housing register you can bid for properties on www.bolsoverlettings.org.uk or call us on 01246 242424 for guidance.


  • Council Housing Open or Close

    We have over 5,000 houses, bungalows and flats to rent throughout the District to help suppoprt vulnerable and elderly people. We understand that every property we manage is someone's home and we aim to provide a tailored service to meet the needs of all our tenants. 

    We operate a Choice Based Lettings (CBL) scheme for allocating properties. We also work in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, North East Derbyshire District Council, Rykneld Homes and Bassetlaw District Council and properties from each are advertised weekly.

    Buying Your Home

    Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. 

    You can get a discount on the market value of your home when you buy it if you qualify for Right to Buy. The maximum discount is £77,900 across England, except in London boroughs where it’s £103,900. It will increase each year in April in line with the consumer price index (CPI).

    The discount is based on:

    • how long you’ve been a tenant with a public sector landlord
    • the type of property you’re buying - a flat or house
    • the value of your home

    If you’re buying with someone else, you count the years of whoever’s been a public sector tenant the longest. You will usually have to repay some or all your discount if you sell your home within 5 years. You might get a smaller discount if you’ve used Right to Buy in the past. Find our more from the Gov.uk website.


    Tenants may carry out improvements to their home provided they obtain written permission from us first. We will only refuse permission for specific reasons of safety or detriment to the property. If we grant permission this will always be in writing and may be conditional on certain conditions (for example, work being carried out by a qualified contractor)

    Tenants are responsible for obtaining any planning permission and building regulations approval. They must submit full details (and plans if appropriate), together with the name(s) of those who will carry out the work, to us for approval. Wherever possible, an Inspector will arrange to visit to discuss the proposals. Tenants must not start work before they have permission in writing.

    Please read our home improvements guide for full details on external and internal improvements, including if you live in a listed building.

    Sheltered Accommodation

    Sheltered housing accommodation is unfurnished properties specially designed or adapted for older people to maintain independent living. We have a number of schemes across the District and housing applicants may be eligible for sheltered housing according to age and needs.

    Our Housing Needs Officers will carry out an assessment of applicants and maintain a waiting list until suitable properties become available. Sheltered housing offers the following:

    • A Scheme Manager living on site
    • Laundry
    • Communal lounge and kitchen
    • Guest bedroom
    • District heating system
    • Concessionary TV licence scheme
    • Organised activities and events

    What does the Scheme Manager do?

    Although the Scheme Manager lives on site they are normally available Monday - Friday 9.00 am until 5.00 pm, this may differ from scheme to scheme. Our mobile wardens are available in an emergency when the Scheme Manager is not on duty.

    They will produce and review support plan based on all tenants individual needs, they will provide advice and support to tenants and develop and facilitate social activities in the scheme. They will not provide personal care such as bathing, getting dressed or preparing and cooking individual meals but depending on their support plan will liaise with relevant agencies.

    Concecessionary TV Licence scheme

    The TV Licensing Authority has agreed a group TV licence for some of our sheltered housing schemes. If you qualify you will pay £7.50 fee each year for your licence. If you are 75 years old or registered blind you will automatically qualify for a free TV licence. Please find the latest concessionary tv licence document from May 2017 here.

  • Handyperson Service Open or Close

    The Derbyshire Handy Van Network is open to people who are 60 and over or who have been referred to us by one of our partner organisations. Our Handy Van person can visit your home to help with the following:

    • Home fire safety checks
    • Checking and fitting smoke alarms
    • Energy efficiency advice
    • Practical tasks

    The service can help with practical tasks such as:

    • Changing light bulbs
    • Removing or hanging curtains
    • Fitting blinds
    • Securing carpets and rugs
    • Fitting key safes and grab rails
    • We can also (with your permission) contact other organisations on your behalf to help you access additional services that may benefit you, for example The British Legion or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

    Unfortunately the service cannot offer an emergency service for plumbing or electrics. If you need help finding a reliable, local company to carry out work at your property Derbyshire County Council can provide details of businesses who have registered on their Trusted Trader Scheme.

    The Handy Van service is available Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, call 0203 5354999 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to request a visit. Each household will be able to access this free service twice a year.

  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Open or Close

    Please visit the main page here: Benefits and Council Tax Support


  • Private Sector Housing Open or Close
    Our Private Sector Housing Team deals with all housing which is not owned by the Council.  This includes privately rented accommodation, housing association properties and owner occupied properties (including those being bought through a mortgage).

    Disabled Facilities Grant

    What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

    If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

    Who can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant? 

    Owner- occupiers, landlords and a wide range of tenants can apply for a DFG. You can apply if you are the disabled person, the landlord of a disabled person, or someone living with a disabled person.

    Private sector tenants require consent from their landlord prior to any works being carried out.

    However, if you are a tenant of Bolsover District Council then any adaptations will be delivered by the Housing Department.

    Do I qualify for a grant?

    The disabled person will need to have an assessment by occupational health at Derbyshire County Council, who will advise us what works are considered necessary and appropriate for your or their needs.  If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.

    If Derbyshire County Council decide that adaptations are required, they will then forward recommendations to us and we will make sure that the works are reasonable and practical for your home.

    What adaptations can be carried out?

    Typical work may include-

    • Providing adequate wash facilities e.g. replacing a bath with a level access shower
    • Adapting heating and lighting controls, e.g. by placing them at wheelchair height
    • Facilitating access into the home or within it to the bathroom or bedroom, e.g. by a stair lift

    How is the grant calculated?

    Applicants must be financially means tested to assess whether you are required to make a contribution towards the works. Any contribution depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

    The maximum grant payable is £30,000.

    There are conditions to the grant which means that the amount of grant may be reclaimed if the property changes hands within the 10 year condition period.  Any repayment will be limited to amounts that exceed £5000, but will not exceed a repayment of £10,000



    How do I apply?

    If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.  If an adaptation is determined as necessary, your case will be referred to the District Council and we will contact you to progress your application.

    If you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact the Technical Support Team in Environmental Health on 01246 217873.


    Housing in Multiple Occupation

    The Public Register of Licensed Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) shows if a landlord has been issued with a HMO Licence for his or her property and the expiry date of the HMO Licence.

    New HMO Licence applications will not appear on the HMO Public Register until they have been processed and issued. Landlords of properties issued with HMO Licences must display a copy of their HMO Licence in a prominent position within the licensed premises.

    Contact us - If you have any queries in relation to an HMO property which has been licensed, or which you feel should be licensed, please contact the Housing and Pollution Team on 01246 217873 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


    We are alerting local landlords who manage houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) to important forthcoming HMO property licensing changes.

    All Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s) with 5 or more occupiers living as 2 or more households, must have a HMO Licence from their local authority. Where a HMO is occupied by less than 5 people, it will not require a licence.

    The Government have introduced this change to widen out the scope from the previous HMO licensing regime, which only applied to HMO properties of three storeys or above. 

    When assessing a licence application, the Council will consider the suitability and condition of the building for the number of proposed occupiers, as well as the suitability of the proposed licence holder.  Applicants will need to demonstrate that fire safety arrangements are in place and adequate, and that the building has sufficient space and amenities.  A list of required documents (such as current gas safety certificate and electrical installation condition report) will also need to be supplied for the application to be a valid one.

    Landlords of relevant HMO properties must ensure that they submit an application for an HMO licence to the Council.  Applications can be made by contacting the Joint Environmental Health Service for an application form. Guidance on making an application is also available on the Council’s website. There is an initial application fee of £496 with a further fee when the licence is granted of £111 making a total HMO licence fee of £607 (we are under a legal obligation to split the fee). The HMO licence will last for up to 5 years.

    There are significant financial penalties for landlords should applications not be made and if they continue to operate the HMO after 1st October 2018. If landlords do not have a licence, or breach HMO licence conditions, they are committing a criminal offence.

    Landlords of properties who are already licensed under the previous HMO licensing scheme do not need to re-apply until their current HMO licence is close to expiry.

    For further information please contact Joint Environmental Health Service on 01246 217873.


    Landlord Accreditation Scheme (DASH)

    Membership of the scheme is £99 for owners of under 20 properties,  however, Bolsover District residents are able to join FREE of charge and membership will last 3 years. The Scheme is voluntary and open to any residential landlord in the East Midlands region.

    Being a DASH accredited landlord will set you apart from the rest. The scheme will provide public recognition that you are a reputable landlord who not only maintains property standards, but who also treats tenants fairly and manages their properties well.

    Once you are a member to the scheme you will be able to use the DASH logo in adverts and on letterheads to promote yourself giving you an edge above the rest. Also, as an accredited landlord you will have access to training and best practice guidance and be able to take full advantage of the the DASH guidance materials and events to enable them to understand fully property management and how to deal with tenancies in an ever changing environment.

    Amongst the benefits  as a DASH accredited landlord, you will have access to a range of specially discounted services which have been negotiated for you by DASH. For more information on this check out the FAQ page on the DASH website.

    If you wish to become a DASH Accredited Landlord for free, fill in the online form or contact Fiona England on 01332 641111 or via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Rents and Repairs Open or Close


    Council house rents are reviewed annually and the changes comes into effect on the first Monday of April. We are legally obliged to give you 28 days notice of any changes to your rent.

    There is a range of payment options available for you to pay your rent including:

    • Over the internet - this is through our secure payments page.
    • By direct debit - this is our preferred method. We currently offer payments every fortnight, 1st, 15th or 27th of the month or on the last Friday of the month and from April 2015 we will be introducing weekly direct debits.
    • Telephone - please ring 0300 4560503 at any time to connect to our automated telephone payment system. You will need a touch tone telephone and your reference number and debit card details. Or you can ring during office hours where our Contact Centre advisors will be able to take a payment from you.
    • In person - at any of our Contact Centres by cash, cheque or debit card. Please note we do not accept Credit Cards.
    • By Rent Collector - we have a team of Rent Collectors who can collect your rent on a fortnightly basis, they can only take cash and cheque payments.
    • By post - cheques should be made payable to Bolsover District Council and posted to Bolsover District Council, The Arc, High Street, Clowne, Derbyshire S43 4JY. Please write your reference number on the back of the cheque so that we can process your payment. Cash should not be sent through the post

    Please contact the Tenancy Management Officer at your local Contact Centre to discuss these options.

    Please see our Rents FAQ for further details on when do you pay, what to do if you are in credit, if you owe rent and how the rental income is spent. 


    We spend significant amounts of money repairing and improving our housing stock and we aim to deliver a high quality customer focused repair and maintenance service which carries out repairs quickly and efficiently and keeps our properties in a good state of repair.

    We set ourselves key aims and objectives to do this, including providing a reliable day-to-day repairs service, repairing empty properties before new tenants move in, developing standards for the service in line with customer's wishes, carrying out regular servicing of heating systems excluding electric and ensuring our tradesmen are qualfied and trained to a high standard.

    Our repairs team also includes a number of inspectors and our own team of workers, but please note that some work is carried out by contractors on our behalf. We also follow the Government's Right to Repair scheme that makes sure that certain small urgent repairs which might affect tenants' health, safety or security, are done quickly and easily. You can also report a repair on-line via our repair reporting system that takes you through the process of reporting your repair step by step.

    More detailed information can be found in our Repairs Handbook that is issued to every tenant when they sign their tenancy agreement or in our Rechargeable Repairs Policy (207kb).


  • Right to Buy Open or Close

    Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. 

    You can get a discount on the market value of your home when you buy it if you qualify for Right to Buy. The maximum discount is £80,900 across England, except in London boroughs where it’s £108,000. It will increase each year in April in line with the consumer price index (CPI).

    The discount is based on:

    • how long you’ve been a tenant with a public sector landlord
    • the type of property you’re buying - a flat or house
    • the value of your home

    If you’re buying with someone else, you count the years of whoever’s been a public sector tenant the longest. You will usually have to repay some or all your discount if you sell your home within 5 years. You might get a smaller discount if you’ve used Right to Buy in the past. Find our more from the Gov.uk website.

  • Services For Older And Vulnerable People Open or Close


    Bolsover Careline is an emergency community alarm service that allows people to live independently whilst having access to help in the event of an emergency. The service offers peace of mind that you will always be in touch - just at the press of a button, 24 hours a day every day.

    The units are available on lease only. Careline is provided by us for our tenants and residents.

    The careline alarm system is an alarm unit you plug into your exisiting telephone socket, it comes with a pendant which is worn around your neck, or can be clipped to a belt.

    In the event of an emergency you can easily activiate the alarm which will put a call thorugh to our control centre. The call will be answered by one of our trained staff who will assess your situation and then offer advice and take the necessary action to help you.

    There are two kinds of alarm service:

    • Gold - this service offers a weekly or monthly visit (depending on medical need) by one of our Mobile Wardens. If the alarm is activated and we cannot make contact with you a mobile warden will visit your home and take the necessary action. The cost for this service is £4.90 per week + £1.95 lease of the unit.

    • Bronze - this is a monitor only service where you will have to provide as many contact details as possible of people you would like us to contact in the event of you activating the alarm. We can also call the emergency services for you if needed. The cost for this service is £2.50 per week + £1.95 lease of the unit. 

    Installing an alarm

    All alarms are usually fitted within 24 hours of receiving your application. All you need is a modern push telephone socket and a 3-pin power socket nearby. The system is always demonstrated and tested before we leave your home. If you need further assiastance please contact us and we will arrange for one of our Mobile Wardens to visit you and your family at your home.


    We provide a comprehensive aids and adaptations service which is invaluable in enabling us to help our elderly and disabled tenants to continue living independently in their own home. All initial applications for adaptations should be directed through Call Derbyshire, who will ensure your enquiry is directed to the Disability Team for assessment. 

    Aids and adaptations we commonly fit in the homes of elderly and disabled tenants include:

    • Grab rails

    • Half steps 

    • Outdoor handrails

    • Stair lifts 

    • Over bath showers

    • Stair rails

    • Wet rooms

    • Wheel chair ramps

    • Lever handled taps 

    • Solid fuel heating to gas 

    There is a high demand for adaptations to Council property and once your referral is received you will go on a waiting list for the works, we will contact you once the adaptations have been ordered. 


    No one likes to feel vulnerable in their own home, but for those who are older, infirm or disabled and becoming progressively less stable, it is a daily reality. Telecare is a practical way to keep help close at hand and knowing that help is available brings reassurance and peace of mind.

    For some people it means they are able to stay in their homes for as long as they want to or take part in activities they might not have felt able to before.

    Telecare can benefit older people and other adults with long-term conditions, those at risk from harm, especially those who:

    • have dementia, or memory loss which means they wander or are unable to deal with risk in their homes such as fire, flood and gas

    • are becoming increasingly frail and are at risk of falling 

    • are struggling to cope at home and may be regularly admitted to hospital. 

    Telecare can help if you are worried about:

    • your safety at home

    • the consequences of falling 

    • becoming forgetful 

    Telecare can be of great peace of mind and family members especially if they do not live with you. Telecare means that instead of frequent and regular visits or calls to make sure all is well, you can rest assured that they will be notified if there is a problem.

  • Social Housing Open or Close

    Landlord Accreditation Scheme

    We have signed up to become partners to the East Midlands Landlord Accreditation Scheme (EMLAS). The scheme is the first regional accreditation scheme, outside of London, to recognise the abilities of the landlord and not just the property standards.

    Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

    The definition of House in Multiple Occupation has changed under the Housing Act 2004. The definition is quite complex, but in essence includes buildings that are occupied by persons who do not form a single household, where there is a degree of sharing of facilities.

    HMO Licensing

    Following the Housing Act 2004, landlords of HMO's which are three storeys or more and are occupied by five people or more will need to apply to the Council for a licence. It is now an offence to operate a licensable HMO without a licence for which there are heavy penalties or conviction.

    Energy Efficiency in Rented Properties

    Landlords need to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) prior to the start of any new tenancy. A copy of this certificate needs to be supplied to any new tenant free of charge. This does not apply to existing tenants.

    The EPC must be produced by an accredited assessor & should show the estimated running costs and the estimated carbon emissions from the property. The rating on the certificate is on a scale of A - G similar to those used for electrical appliances. The rating should also be accompanied by a recommendation report detailing how to improve the property's energy efficiency. Each EPC for the domestic rental sector should last for roughly 10 years, although landlordsare encouraged to update them more often if they have refuebished a a proprty & upgraded it's thermal efficiency.

    It is believed higher ratings could give landlords a marketing advantage as prospective tenants will be able to compare properties againsteach other and choose one where they will benefit from lower fuel bills. The Enforcement of EPC's will be carried out by Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards, the Environmental Health section will promote the legislation amongst both landlords and tenants.

    Housing Associations

    We have a number of Housing Associations who have properties for rent in the District. These include:

    Acis Group
    Derwent Living East Midlands Housing Association Riverside Housing 21

    ASRA Housing Group

    Guiness Partnership Trident Housing Derbyshire County Council Supporting People Action Housing Easy Room Mate  




Housing Advice and Support

  • Affordable Housing Open or Close

    Share Ownership and Help to Buy Schemes

    If you cannot afford to buy a home outright you may be able to get some financial help through a shared ownership scheme or Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme.  For more information on any of these schemes contact your local Help to Buy agent, Help to Buy Midlands, through the Help to Buy website at www.orbit.org.uk, or telephone 03458 50 20 50 select option 2, or  via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


  • Asylum Seekers Open or Close

    An asylum seeker is someone who comes to the UK, often fleeing persecution, torture or war and applies for refugee status.  Until refugee status is granted, such a person remains an asylum seeker.  Asylum seekers often encounter difficulty in obtaining accommodation.

    Bolsover District Council has no duty to provide accommodation for asylum seekers. 

    For further information please see the Home Office Border Agency

    Useful Links:

  • Domestic Violence Open or Close

    Domestic violence and abuse affects thousands of people from all different backgrounds. It does not matter whether you are young or old, if you are religious or not, whether you are male or female, if you are from a different country or a different culture, whether you are a traveller, whether you are employed or unemployed and it does not matter about your sexuality.

    If you need help and guidance please telephone the Domestic Violence Outreach and IDVA service:  01246 593063. 

    For further information see the Community Safety and Emergencies web page.  

    Other Useful Links:




  • Homelessness Open or Close

    If you are homeless now, or are threatened with being made homeless we can provide help and assistance.  This can be done in person, by telephoning 01246 242424  or by emailing the Housing Needs Officers at your local Contact Centre.

    You will be interviewed by an experienced officer who will conduct an initial assessment of your housing needs. This officer will be your point of contact throughout your application and will work with you and other agencies to try and resolve your housing situation.  The Homelessness Application document here will give you more information on the homelessness process and provide details of the necessary documents you will need to bring with you to an interview.

    We may also be able to help with problems such as  harassment and illegal eviction eviction or domestic violence  and can put you in touch with other agencies that offer support and advice.

    The Housing Needs team can also help people who are sleeping rough during the freezing weather.

    Under normal circumstances the council has to assess if a person is deemed to be homeless under set criteria – but this is suspended when temperatures fall below zero for three consecutive nights and the council can offer emergency shelter, for help telephone 01246 242424 or contact the Out of Hours Service if the Council is closed.

    For more information on sleeping rough please visit the Streetlink website. 

    Out Of Hours Service 

    Call Derbyshire is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire, if you require assistance when the Council is closed you can contact this team on:

    0845 6058058 or 01629 532600. 


  • Local Authority Mortgage Scheme (LAMS) Open or Close

    The scheme is aimed at first time buyers only who can afford mortgage payments but not the initial deposit.

    The Local Authority can provide a mortgage deposit bond guarantee. A top-up indemnity to the value of the difference between a lower loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage (i.e. 75% - requiring a 25% deposit) and a 95% LTV mortgage. The potential buyer will thereby obtain a 95% mortgage on similar terms as a 75% mortgage, but without the need to provide the substantial deposit usually required.

    In addition to meeting the mortgage application criteria required by Leek United Building Society, applicants must also comply with the Authority's local criteria:

    • Maximum property value in North East Derbyshire District Council area of £175,000 and in Bolsover District Council area of £150,000.
    • Property must be located within North East Derbyshire district Bolsover district.

    Further information or enquiries please see the Leek United Building Society website. Or alternatively customers can call into their local Leek United branch or call the Society at the Head Office on 01538 380047 or at the Derby Branch on 01332 344708. Please see the attached factsheet for additional information.

  • Money Advice Open or Close

    Basic bank accounts

    Basic bank accounts are aimed at giving everyone access to banking facilities.  They are a basic, no frills account and are available from all major banks.

    If you don’t currently have a bank account or, if you are not able to get a standard current account, you should look into basic bank accounts as an option.  For further information please view the attached PDF and visit the Money Advice Service website.

    Mortgage Difficulties

    Anyone can get into mortgage difficulties, and it can happen for many reasons, for example:

    •          Unemployment
    •          Illness
    •          An increase in mortgage rates
    •          Family breakdown/Separation
    •          The arrival of a new baby
    •          The loss of overtime - and several others. 

    If you start to get into mortgage arrears do not panic; but do recognise that it will not just go away, and you need to take action as soon as possible by contacting the lender, Citizens Advice Bureau or the Law Centre.If you live in the District of North East Derbyshire and have a problem paying your mortgage and you want to talk to someone about how to prevent losing your home, you can Contact the Housing Options team or the following organisations; 

    NE Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau  telephone 0300 4568437   

    Derbyshire Law Centre  telephone: 01246 550674 or Freephone 0800 7076990   

    Don't get bitten by a loan shark!

    Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders. If you have financial problems do not borrow from a loan shark.You can get free financial advice in confidence from North Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau and Derbyshire Law Centre.  They can help you re-organise your debts and contact your creditors to make reasonable offers that you can afford.

    For more information visit the Stop Loan Sharks website www.stoploansharks.co.uk  or to report a loan shark you can telephone: 0300 555 2222.

    Alternatively you can contact your local Public Protection Project Team, telephone: 01332 644 000.

    These agencies will help you for free and will be in strict confidence.

    Loan sharks will take your money over and over again!

  • Moving On Support Open or Close

    Rocket Fuel - Top Tips for Moving On, which the PDF version is available to download, is a guide for people in supported accommodation moving to longer term or permanent homes.  It provides useful information and tips for moving-on.

    If you are currently living in supported accommodation then you may be eligible to access accommodation under the Move-on Protocol.  Ask your support worker for more details.  You and your support worker will first need to complete a MOP form, and then a R2M form when you are ready to move-on to your own accommodation. 

  • Out of Hours Service Open or Close

    If you are homeless or need emergency housing and the Council is closed then contact Call Derbyshire which is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire. 

    The team will be available between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday and 24 hours per day during weekends and bank holidays. 

    Call Derbyshire contact details; telephone 0845 6058058 or 01629 532600  

    Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Private Housing Advice Open or Close

     Renting a home from a private landlord or agent is a good housing solution and very flexible.  Often this is the first accommodation people live in once they leave home.

    The private rented market is very varied and the standard of accommodation and management can also differ greatly. We can give you guidance on the legal standards for private rented housing, advice on how to go about letting or renting a property and what to do if you have problems. We have a range of powers that can be used to ensure properties are safe and well managed and tenants are free from harassment and nuisance.

    We can offer advice and guidance for people who are or are thinking about becoming private tenants, download the Private Renting for Tenants PDF for further guidance. 

    If you currently live in a privately rented property and live in Shirebrook / Langwith and you feel your property isn't up to standard or need free advice, then contact us here This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   

    Free private rental advice leaflet (English) (Polish)(Romanian)

    Harassment and Illegal Eviction

    We can assist people who are threatened with harassment and eviction and can offer advice on illegal eviction and private tenancies.

    Harassment and illegal eviction of tenants is a criminal offence, prosecuted by local authorities and the only way a tenant can be made to leave their property is via a court order.

    A person found guilty of harassment or illegal eviction faces a maximum fine of 5,000 pounds or up to 6 months in prison.  They will also have a criminal record.

    Tenants can also take civil action and may win thousands of pounds in compensation.

    If you are suffering harassment or illegal eviction, you should contact:

    Housing Health and Safety Rating System - HHSRS

    The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties.

    The assessment method focuses on the hazards that are most likely to be present in housing, tackling these hazards will make homes healthier and safer to live in.

    Full information on HHSRS can be found on the Decent and Safe Homes (DASH) website. The Government has also issued guidance on HHSRS for landlords and other property related professionals. 

    Park homes, mobile homes and caravans

    Caravan sites may be residential, holiday or touring sites and if you use land as a caravan site you will almost always need to get planning permission and a site licence from us.

    Gypsies and Travellers

     There is one transit site located within the District at Pleasley. The site is licensed by us but is privately owned.

    When dealing with gypsy and traveller issues we follow the Inter Agency Guidance (426kb) to ensure that all services are delivered fairly to gypsies and travellers in compliance with the law, government guidance and local authorities equalities policies.

    Dealing with illegal encampments

    We are only able to evict Gypsies/Travellers off Council owned land. If the Gypsies/Travellers are causing problems they will be moved on as soon as is possible and reasonable. It normally takes approximately three weeks to gather the relevant information and obtain a court hearing date. The Court can refuse to grant us an order to move the Gypsies/Travellers on if it believes there is an unavoidable reason for the Gypsies/Travellers to stay on the site or if the Court believes that we have failed to make adequate enquiries regarding the general health and welfare of the Gypsies/Travellers. Please report any illegal encampments to us immediately.

    Dealing with illegal encampments on other land

    If the encampment is on land not owned by us, then the landowner, if possible, should talk to the travellers to try and gauge how long they will be there. The landowner can also take proceedings in the County Court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a Court Order for their eviction. There must be a minimum of two clear days between service of documents and the Court hearing.

    Any decision by the landowner to allow the travellers to stay on site must be undertaken with the correct planning permissions and licensing. Any breach of these permissions will result in us taking action against the landowner.

    Useful Contacts:

    Derbyshire County Council: 01629-580000 extension 7384

    Derbyshire County Council Traveller Liason Officer 01629 538466

    Derbyshire Police: 101 - non-emergency number

    More Information can be found on the following websites; 

    Friends, Families & Travellers

    Derbyshire Gypsy Liason Group

    Department for Communities and Local Government


Housing Strategy

  • Disabled People Housing Needs Open or Close

    The Disabled People’s Housing Needs Study examines the housing needs of people with physical disabilities in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. It was undertaken by Ecorys and ConsultCIH on behalf of fifteen local authorities. The aims of the study are:  

    • To better understand how to meet the housing needs of people with physical disabilities.
    • To better understand the means by which appropriate housing for disabled people can be delivered.
    • To obtain a good evidence base for the development of housing for disabled people. 

    The focus of the research is on the physical structure and facilities rather than support and care issues. 

    Key Findings for Bolsover district

    • There are significant and increasing numbers of disabled people with housing needs in Bolsover, including older people, working age residents and families with children.
    • There is substantial excess demand for appropriate accommodation compared to year on year supply.

    • The information about existing suitable housing stock in all tenures is inadequate and ways to improve information, including from the private sector, should be explored.
    • The over 65 population will increase in the short, medium and long term and the over 85 population will increase in the long term, significantly increasing the need for housing for disabled people.
    • An estimated 2.7% of Bolsover’s social housing stock is of wheelchair standard. However, the understanding of 'wheelchair standard' is not clear.  Anecdotally, there a less than five housing association properties which are to full standard suitable for people who use their wheelchairs indoors, as well as out of door. There are currently around 99 households with wheelchair requirements whose needs are not met, a figure increasing to 114 by 2033.
    • A significant number of disabled people will be looking to social housing to meet their needs, although there are still many who may be able to afford to buy a suitable property.
    • There are very limited to no facilities in supported accommodation (non-elderly) for wheelchair users, and normally communal areas are not fully accessible.

    For more information see the attached report.  


  • Homelessness Strategy Open or Close

    The North Derbyshire Homelessness Strategy is a joint strategy between Bolsover District Council, North East Derbyshire District Council and Chesterfield Borough Councill and was developed with the intention of preventing and addressing homelessness across North Derbyshire.

    From the Strategy the North Derbyshire Homelessness Forum, a body made up of many statutory and voluntary agencies will be set up to work together to prevent and tackle homelessness.

    Over the coming five years of this strategy we will continue to put our energy and resources into preventing homelessness.  This commitment has local people at its heart and we will work closely with our partners to continue improving the standard of accommodation and to achieving a truly Gold Standard Homelessness Service.

    Please see our Homelessness Strategy here and Homelessness Strategy EIA

  • Housing and Economic Development Strategy Open or Close

    Housing and Economic Development Strategy 2015 - 2020

    The council has previously had separate strategies for Economic Development and Housing but has decided to deliver a joint Strategy in recognition of the council's key priority to deliver growth in the district as part of its recently launched Growth Strategy.  

    The Strategy and Executive Summary can be found at the top of this page to download.  

    The joint strategy recognises that new jobs, new businesses and new housing are essential elements in creating an economically vibrant place where all people want to live and work.

    The proposed 8 objectives outlined in the strategy have been identified to tackle the challenges and opportunities facing the district over the next 5 years. 

    The eight objectives are:

    1. Supporting enterprise: maintaining and growing the business base

    2. Maximise employment, skills and training opportunities

    3. Enable housing growth

    4. Unlock development potential: unlocking the capacity of major employment sites

    5. Enable town centre development

    6. Develop the rural economy

    7. Enable people to live in and sustain their own homes

    8. Prevent and reduce homelessness

    You can veiw the Strategy here and Strategy Summary here.

    If you would like to discuss the Strategy in more detail, please contact the Housing Strategy or Economic Development Team. 

  • Housing Market Area Open or Close

    What is the Housing Market Area?

    In 2005, a report for the East Midlands Regional Assembly and the Regional Housing Board identified Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield and Bassetlaw as a Housing Market Area (ND&B HMA).

    It was recognised that these four authorities face many similar issues and are joined by the common factor that their housing markets are all influenced by the major urban areas of Sheffield and Rotherham, located across the regional border.

    The Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA)

    The North Derbyshire and Bassetlaw SHMA has been prepared by GL Hearn Limited and it considers future housing need in the HMA over the period to 2031.  

    It considers how many homes and what type are needed, both market and affordable, as well as what housing is required to meet the needs of specific groups within the population including older people and those with disabilities.

    The Bolsover report is attached in PDF format. 

    SHMA Bolsover report. 



  • Housing Needs Survey Open or Close

     We have carried out a series of Housing Needs Surveys in partnership with Chesterfield Borough Council, Bassetlaw District Council and North East Derbyshire District Council.

    This research was undertaken to build on the current information held by the Authorities and to identify specific housing needs and aspirations of people within these particular groups.  The information collected is used to develop appropriate housing strategies and ensure that the needs of people with chaotic lifestyles are accounted for during strategic planning.

    Click on the links below to see the Housing Needs surveys.

    Housing Needs Study of Older People

    Housing Needs Study for the Black and Minority Ethnic

    Housing Needs Study of Young People

    Housing Needs Study of those with Chaotic Lifestyles - Complex Needs

  • Long Term Housing Regeneration Strategy Open or Close


    A new council house development launch in Creswell has marked the start of a four-year housing partnership in Bolsover District.

    We entered into the house building partnership with Robert Woodhead Ltd. earlier this year. Titled B@Home, the Partnership, which was procured through the Efficiency East Midlands (EEM), New Build Developer Framework will deliver over 100 high quality, energy efficient homes, over the four year period.

    The launch saw the first sod being cut at Rogers Avenue, Creswell to signify the start of the project, which will not only create council houses, but will see many other benefits such as 200 training events and more than 50 work experience and apprentice opportunities for local people and businesses.

    The first phase of the development, starting at Rogers Avenue will see 7 dwellings built.

    Other developments including 25 dwellings will be spread over four other sites:

    • Fir Close, Shirebrook 
    • Derwent Drive, Tibshelf 
    • Blackwell Hotel, Blackwell 
    • Recreation Close, Clowne

    Community-Led Regeneration

    We are looking to shape the future of our District and commissioned a community-led district wide regeneration.

    Led by consultants Bauman Lyons Architects, the work primarily focused on the four towns, but also included the wider settlements and areas of interest such as Creswell Crags. It will help identify the strengths and build upon them, but also look at areas that need improving.

    We have now produced four frameworks for our main towns which include surrounding villages and hamlets.

    Please see the Regeneration Pages for further details.

  • Tenancy Participation Open or Close

    Tenant Participation is all about you! It’s about you and what you think! It's a two way process involving sharing of information and ideas, where council tenants are able to influence our policies and decisions and take part in consultation about the housing service.

    We recognise that our services can be improved by talking to the people that use them and as tenants are customers of our housing service, we feel they are the best people to inform us of how the service affects them, what they like and dislike and how things could be changed or improved. By working together, both tenant and landlord can come up with ideas, which make a better quality service.

    Our tenants have been working closely with us for a number of years and have already had a lot of successes, including:

    • Working with councillors and staff to review the future of Council Housing
    • Taking part in a review of the Tenant Compact
    • Being involved in Challenge days to review the Repairs Service
    • Setting standards for empty properties
    • Producing a newsletter for Tenants called Homing In
    • Working with housing staff to produce the Repairs Handbook

    If you would like to get involved then please contact us so we can talk you through the various alternatives that are available to you.

  • Tenancy Strategy Open or Close

     Every Local Housing Authority was required under The Localism Act 2011 to have a tenancy strategy in place by January 2013.

    Through the adoption of the Localism Act the Government introduced a range of new tenure options, including fixed term flexible tenancies and also a new power enabling local authorities to discharge their statutory homelessness duty into the private rented sector.

    Tenancy Strategies are designed to provide a framework and guidance on policies relating to tenure options, succession, allocations and how registered providers should use the changes when granting tenancies in local authority areas. Registered providers of affordable homes are required to have due regard to the tenancy strategies of the local authority areas in which they operate.

    The Council’s Tenancy Strategy is attached

  • Younger People's Housing Open or Close

    Housing Ambition

    Housing Ambition is a project covering Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield and Derbyshire Dales Local Authority areas, funded by the Department of Communities and Local Government. 

    The project has been set up to create a positive pathway into, through and between accommodation for young people (aged 16 – 24) in housing need. 

    Mediation Service

    Mediation is used to help people to resolve / work out conflict within their housing and prevent people becoming homeless.

    The Ambition team also offers a mediation service which is completely impartial (not on anyone’s side) and do not judge.  The aim of the service is to help you find a solution that is acceptable to all the people involved.

    For further information and advice on young people's housing please see Housing Ambition or contact Jo Hayes
    North Derbyshire Housing Ambition Co-ordinator This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

    If you are Homelessness please contact the Housing Needs Team now; telephone 01246 242424 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   


Housing contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242424
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Popular Questions

Go to top