Environment 1

  • Abandoned Vehicles Open or Close

    Abandoned vehicle reports are increasing. If you abandon a vehicle you could receive a fixed penalty of £200 or face prosecution. Remember, unless your car is a complete wreck, it might still be worth something, so you should consider scrapping it or donate it to charity.

    To report an abandoned vehicle, visit our Do it Online pages. Please ensure you do not report a vehicle that is not abandoned as it takes up valuable time to investigate.

    Where a vehicle's causing an obstruction, or is dangerously parked, you should call the police on 101. 

    If it is in relation to a parking offence then you should report it to Derbyshire District Council.

    To report a vehicle that is untaxed or uninsured, please contact the DVLA.

    There is strict criteria that a vehicle must meet in order for us to consider it as abandoned. If a vehicle meets the criteria and does appear to be abandoned we will work with the DVLA to identify the owner. We may serve a notice giving the owner between 24 hours and 7 days to remove it (depending on the condition of the vehicle). If a vehicle is assessed as being in a dangerous condition i.e burnt out or a wreck, it will be removed immediately.”

  • Dead Animals Open or Close

    You can report a dead animal using the Do it Online button on this page.

    Our street cleansing team will collect dead animals from the highways and footpaths throughout the District. All livestock carcases must be disposed of at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) approved premises.

  • Dog Fouling Open or Close
    You can report dog fouling using the Do it Online form here.
    Dog fouling is a major problem, and one we are actively targeting to reduce. Please report any dog fouling incidents to us via our online service.

    If you are a dog owner, some of the responsibilities you should adhere to are:
    • Carry a means to clear up mess after your dog. Poop bags are available free from Council Offices.
    • Dispose of the waste correctly. Please click on the ‘Find My..’ button to find your nearest dog bin.
    • Never let your dog out in public on its own.
    If you’re dog is picked up by our Dog Warden you will have to pay to get your dog back. If you are caught letting your dog foul without clearing it up you may face a fixed penalty notice of £50 or a court fine up to £1,000.
    Please report incidents of dog fouling via our ‘Do it Online’ service, where you will be treated in confidence. Please provide as many details as you can to help our enforcement staff convict the offenders.
  • Drains and Sewers Open or Close

    From October 2011, the water and sewerage companies (see below) became responsible for the private sewers and lateral drains. There are some exceptions, so it's best to check with your water company if you are at all unsure.

    The change meant you are now only responsible for the drainage pipe which serves your own property. Sewer pipes which are shared by more than one property, or run beyond your property boundary, are your water authorities responsibility. The new rules will stop you being charged for costly repairs for issues that aren't your fault.

    As well as the private drains serving a single home or business within the boundary of the property, there are a few other types of pipes that are not covered by the Regulations and will remain the responsibility of the current owners after 1 October 2011. These are:

    • Water supply pipes within your property boundary
    • Existing surface water sewers that drain directly to watercourses
    • Privately owned sewage treatment works and pipes connected to them
    • Privately owned septic tanks and cesspits (including all associated pipes even if serving more than one property)
    • Private pumping stations

    If you have a problem related to the above you should contact Severn Trent Water or Yorkshire Water.

    Blocked Drains

    Private Properties

    We will no longer attend to blockages in private drains.

    Private customers should contact their Water Authority to determine if the blockage is in the public sewer or private drain, even if located within the boundary of their property. If the Water Authority determines that the problem is in the private drain then you will need to arrange and pay for a private contractor to attend. We will not recommend specific contractors, so we would advise you to look through the relevant business directories.

    Council Owned Properties

    As a responsible landlord, we will continue to deal with blockages in our properties and these should be reported to us immediately. If we suspect the blockage lies in a public sewer we will contact the Water Authority otherwise we will attend to the blockage ourselves.

  • Enforcement Policy Open or Close

    Bolsover District Council is responsible for ensuring that a wide range of legislation is being properly complied with, by businesses and individuals. This is to protect the rights and safety of the Districts residents, workers, visitors and the local environment.

    The Councils takes a positive, proactive and balanced approach to ensure compliance. This policy helps to promote an efficient and effective approach to regulatory enforcement to ensure that we act in a consistent and fair manner.

    The policy sets out the approach to be followed by authorised officers when making decisions in respect of compliance and enforcement activities. It sets out the levels of enforcement action available to the Councils, how we will determine which action is appropriate in the event of non-compliance and how we will conduct our investigations.

    This is an overarching policy which covers the whole of the Councils enforcement activities. Individual service areas are required to follow a range of legislation and regulations when considering enforcement activity and as such, many of these areas have specific enforcement policies which are reviewed regularly.

    These policies are available be accessing the links below

    Enforcement Policy (Joint Environmental Health Service)

    Joint Fly Tipping Policy

    Statement of Licensing Policy (Licensing Act 2003)

    Statement of Licensing Principles (Gambling Act 2005) 

    Taxi Licensing Policy (Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 etc. – new policy approved Sept

    ASB Policy 

    Local Enforcement Plan (Planning) 

    Nuisance Vehicles Policy

    Local Taxation – Debt Recovery Policy

  • Fireworks Open or Close

    Every year injuries occur and property is damaged due to unsupervised or poorly organised firework displays.

    Noise from fireworks and firework displays can have significant impact on vulnerable people and pets.

    We have put together some important information containing helpful advice on how to run firework event (small or large) safely and considerately.

  • Fixed Penalty Notices Open or Close

     A fixed penalty notice is a fine and an opportunity for an offence not to be taken further to court.

    If one of our authorised officers believes you have committed an offence then they could prosecute you for the offence. However, a fixed penalty fine will usually be issued instead unless you have received one previously.

    A fixed penalty fine is a method of allowing the person who has committed an offence the opportunity to discharge any liability to conviction for that offence. On payment of the fixed penalty fine, we cannot prosecute you for the offence but if payment is not received then we will prosecute you for the original offence.

    How to pay

    Please quote the red FPN reference number at the bottom of the notice to ensure your payment is processed quickly.

    You can pay by cash cheque or debit card at any of the council offices, by telephone: 01246242424 to pay using a debit card or by post. Cheques can be made payable to Bolsover District Council with your name and address on the back. Please include the notice with the payment.

    For more detailed information on Fixed penalty notices see our FAQ's here. We also produce quarterly stats for the FPN's issued. 

    October - December 2018
    July - September 2018



  • Food Hygiene Open or Close
    All food businesses are subject to routine food hygiene inspections from our officers; visits to premises are usually carried out without prior notice. The frequency of inspections is decided by a risk analysis, so that those premises that present the greatest risk are inspected most frequently.
    During an inspection, officers will want to ensure that potential food safety risks have been identified by the business, and that there are adequate controls in place to prevent any future problems. The officers will inspect records and may take photographs and samples.  They will make sure that managers and food handlers are properly trained and will check that the condition of the premises and equipment is satisfactory.
    Where conditions are not satisfactory, every attempt will be made to resolve the situation, but where poor conditions exist or where there is a risk to public health it may be necessary to resort to formal action.
    General information on food hygiene and safety can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.
  • Grass Cutting Open or Close

    A clean, green and safe environment is a top priority for us. We manage and maintain a number of the District's parks, recreation grounds, closed cemeteries and green open areas. This can also be carried out in partnership with local Parish Councils and under agency arrangements with Derbyshire County Council.


    Different types of open space require different levels of maintenance, so the frequency varies according to the location.
    In areas such as closed cemeteries, public open spaces, play areas and grass verges you can expect the grass to be cut on average every two weeks between March and October, dependent on weather conditions. On vacant open area sites we will cut the grass at least once a month from March to October, again dependent on weather conditions.


    Road safety is our main concern and at places where visibility is important we cut accordingly. Verges are cut on average twice every month between March and October.
    We are also aware of our responsibilities towards increasing biodiversity, so we cut in a way that allows animals and wild flowers to enjoy their natural habitat, while still making sure safety is a priority.

    Assisted Gardening

    If you are a Council tenant and are not physically capable of maintaining your own garden and have no family in the area you may be able to get assistance from us. Each case is determined on its own merits and you should contact us to arrange a visit. You can fill in a general enquiry form via our ‘Do it Online’ button and a member of staff will contact you to arrange an informal visit to assess your situation.

    Tree Pruning and Hedge Cutting

    We undertake a programme of cutting, pruning and conservation to maintain our trees, hedges and other aspects of the natural landscape. We trim hedges bordering the highway at least once a year, as well as the hedges of infirm council tenants. Trees will be examined regularly and maintenance work carried out as necessary. Health and safety of the public is a priority and also that of the natural environment.
    If the tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), or is in a conservation area you must contact us before you do any work. Applications for work on trees in conservation areas usually take up to six weeks of receiving the application. Applications for work on trees covered by a TPO will be dealt within eight weeks of receiving the application. Our team of gardening experts provide a full range of services to keep your garden looking at its best. Please get in touch so that we can provide a quote to look after your garden, whether it is privately owned or rented.

    We offer:

    • Hedge trimming
    • Grass cutting
    • Tree pruning and felling works
    • Shrub and border maintenance

    All work is undertaken to a professional standard so you can rely on us to look after your garden. You can request to be put on our assisted garden list by filling in a general enquiry form using the ‘Do it Online’ button.

  • Noise Nuisance Open or Close
    We always advise people that the best way to resolve a noise problem is to politely speak with the person who is causing the noise. If you don't feel that you can approach the person or business involved, or this has not worked, we can contact them on your behalf.

    The most common enquiries are about disturbance from neighbours, such as loud music and televisions, barking dogs, vehicle repairs and DIY noise. Other problems include burglar and car alarms, building site noise, noise made by businesses, licensed premises and noise in the street.

    This page provides information on how we investigate and deal with complaints and the kind of issues we deal with. To report a noise complaint about a neighbour or business use our 'Self Service' form as the most efficient way to let us know. Giving us your email address as well as a phone number means we can keep in touch with you more easily.

    We cannot respond to anonymous complaints as we need to prove nuisance at the home of the people disturbed by the noise. We also need information about where the noise is coming from, or where you think it is coming from so we can contact them. Often people don’t know they are causing a problem and will resolve issues quickly when they realise.
    Loud Music
    Noise from loud music is one of the most common complaints we receive and can be considered a nuisance to neighbours at any time of day or night. If we receive a complaint of loud music the investigating officer will consider things like the volume of music, the bass content, how often it happens and the duration of the noise in their assessment.
    Barking Dogs
    Barking Dogs are commonly complained about. But many dogs like to bark! It's a totally natural thing for them to do and in most cases it doesn't cause any problems. However, sometimes a dog may bark a lot, disturbing neighbours, keeping you awake at night or frightening visitors to your home. A barking dog is lonely, bored or unhappy. If you have to leave your dog, make sure it has had enough exercise. If necessary leave the radio on to keep it company and get a neighbour to look in.  Please download our Barking Dogs information sheet for more detail. You can report an issue about a dog barking using our 'Self Service' form.

    Burglar Alarms
    Intruder alarms are designed to sound to make people aware of a problem. However they should not sound for more than 20 minutes and should have an auto cut off device fitted. If they sound repeatedly of continuously they may be faulty or there may be a power issue at the address. Continuously sounding intruder alarms simply advertise that no-one is there!

    As firework noise is short lived, in practice it can prove difficult to locate the source. To avoid noise problems with fireworks we recommend that you tell your neighbours about the display and locate the fireworks away from buildings that could reflect noise. The UK Firework Review website contains the main laws, regulations and other key points you will need to be aware of when you buy and use fireworks in the UK.

  • Pests Open or Close


    We provide advice and treatment services covering a range of domestic pests such as rats, mice, fleas and wasps. This service is for domestic premises only and adheres to our Pest Control Policy (194kb). No treatment in commercial premises will be undertaken. Please click here for Pest Control informatino for residents.

    The pest control service will be provided within the boundary of domestic premises only for the eradication of:

    Treatment Timescale for appointment Charge

    Rats inside your property

    1 working day 

    (This time may be longer as

    it is dependant upon workload within the service at the

    time. Every effort will be made to provide the service

    within the timescale.)
    No charge
    Rats outside your property 5 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    No charge
    Bed Bugs 5 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    Standard Fee £46.23 
    Cockroaches inside your property 5 working days

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    Standard Fee £46.23 
    Fleas inside your property 5 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    Standard Fee £46.23 
    Mice inside your property 5 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    No charge
    Wasps 5 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    Advice and Guidance 2 working days 

    (this time may be shorter or

    longer and is dependent

    upon the workload within

    the service at the time. Every

    effort will be made to provide the

    service within the timescale)
    No charge
    Invasive SpeciesIf you need to pay for a treatment you can do so by debit card over the phone whilst you make an appointment for your treatment. Out of hours service is only available in emergency circumstances and is at the discretion of the Joint Assistant Director of Environmental Health. Every person requesting the service will be charged including Council tenants, private tenants, owner occupiers and landlords. Contact us for further advice.

    Please see the information factsheet for dealing with pests such as invasive weeds like Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed. If you think you have Japanese Knotweed or need help in identifying it, please see our factsheet.

    Non Native Species

    Asian Hornet

    There are several key features to look out for which will help you distinguish between Asian hornets, and our native European hornet, Vespa crabro:
    •The Asian hornet is smaller, with queens up to 30 mm, and workers up to 25 mm in length. European hornet queens can reach 35 mm
    •A key feature of Asian hornets is its almost entirely dark abdomen except for the 4th segment which is yellow. European hornets, on the other hand, have a brown and yellow striped abdomen (see below)
    •Whereas the legs of European hornets are dark, Asian hornets have bright yellow tips to their legs
    •Asian hornets are only active during the day, unlike our native hornet which is most active at night

    If you think you may have spotted an Asian hornet please either email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



  • Pollution Open or Close
    Pollutants come in a wide range of forms, and can affect our quality of life and health.
    We carry out a wide range of duties and functions including air quality monitoring and management, dealing with neighbourhood nuisance including loud noise, obnoxious smells, dust and smoke. You can find out more information below regarding pollution 


    Water and Rivers
    If you are concerned about pollution of a river or other watercourse, please report this to the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60 who will be able to investigate the incident.

    If you have a problem with your water supply your first point of contact should be your Water Provider. This is likely to be either Severn Trent or Yorkshire Water in our District.
    We operate a monitoring programme for atmospheric pollutants using a network of equipment, and take action to make sure that problems are dealt with swiftly.
    You can find out more about air pollution and the laws that help us to take action against it on the Environment Agency website. You might also like to look at our pages about Smoke Control. We  have produced a Q&A document on Air Quality which explains our statutory duties and also the EU Ambient Air Quality Directive and the difference between the two. 
    If you have a query about air quality, or think that someone near you is polluting the air, please use the Do it Online button above to report it.
    Asbestos could be present in any building that was built or refurbished before the year 2000. It was commonly used in the building industry in the products such as:
    • Corrugated sheets for roofing and cladding
    • Gutters and downpipes
    • Flat sheeting for partitioning, cladding and door facings
    • Flue pipes
    Asbestos sheeting is a grey, hard, brittle material containing asbestos fibre. Older properties may have lagging that contains asbestos around any original pipework. Asbestos insulation board was commonly used in the 1960's and 1970's and looks like plasterboard, but is thinner and softer. On no account should you disturb lagging or insulation board. Removal of asbestos must always be undertaken by specialist contractors. Asbestos is classed as hazardous waste and requires a specialist contractor to collect and dispose of it. Before starting any work, you should seek advice as to how the material can be disposed of and how much it will cost.
    Fly Tipped Asbestos
    Because asbestos is classed as hazardous, if it is fly tipped on private property you will be advised to hire a private contractor who is licensed to remove such waste - please telephone as soon as possible.
    If you see any hazardous waste being fly tipped please report this to us as soon as possible. If the asbestos waste is in a water course or in imminent danger of polluting the water course please contact the Environment Agency.
    Industrial activity throughout the UK has left us with the legacy of old derelict sites, many with problems of residual contamination. Some of these sites are potentially hazardous to human health, watercourses or other such sensitive receptors. Legislation formed under Part IIa of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 was introduced in April 2000 to facilitate the identification and remediation of such sites. As part of this legislation, Local Authorities were given the responsibility of developing a strategy for inspecting their areas and identifying potentially harmful sites.
    We are responsible for identifying and keeping a register of any contaminated sites in North East Derbyshire, and our Contaminated Land Strategy sets out how we do this. We are currently reviewing the strategy and the new version will be available here when it is completed. A guide to Submitting Applications For Land That May Be Contaminated (1.7MB) has been produced by the Derbyshire Contaminated Land Sub-Group. The Environment Agency have useful information on contaminated land.
    Please visit our main noise web page for more information.
    Parts of the Bolsover District have been officially designated as smoke control areas, where only authorised fuels may be burned, or other fuels may be burned in exempt appliances.
    It is an offence to emit smoke from the chimney of a building in a designated smoke controlled area. It is also an offence to acquire an "unauthorised fuel" for use within a smoke controlled area unless it is in an exempt appliance.


  • Rubbish, Litter & Graffiti Open or Close
    We are responsible for the day-to-day cleansing requirements of the District and this includes the hand and mechanical sweeping of highways, pavements and public open spaces such as car parks and market squares to remove litter and detritus.

    We regularly monitor the District for areas that have been affected by graffiti. We have a zero tolerance stance on graffiti and we do everything in our powers to ensure any offenders are dealt with as quickly and sternly as possible.

    We aim to remove graffiti on Council buildings within 10 working days of it being reported to us. We aim to remove any racist, obscene or abusive graffiti within 24 hours of it being reported to us. If the graffiti is on property or business premises we will work with the occupier to influence its speedy removal. By agreement we may remove graffiti from private or business properties on a rechargeable basis.

    If you see any area that has been defaced by graffiti and wish to report it, please contact the Council. Report it via ‘Do it Online’ on this page.

    Litter and Fly Tipping

    New littering rules are now in place as of April 2018.

    For the first time, local authorities will also be able to apply penalties for littering to vehicle owners if it can be proved litter was thrown from their car – even if it was discarded by somebody else.

    So it’s up to you as a vehicle owner to ensure no one discards litter from your vehicle or YOU will receive a fixed penalty.

    Litter and fly tipping is a blight on our countryside - it is unsightly, unpleasant and dangerous to the public and animals. Always place your litter in a litter bin or take it home. To report an issue with litter or fly tipping please use our ‘Do it Online’ service.
    Anyone dropping litter can be liable to an immediate fixed penalty notice (FPN) of £65 and if you fail to pay this within the statutory 14-days then you may be taken to court where the maximum fine can be £2,500.


    In 2019 new fines were introduced for breaches of the household waste duty of care – as a way to stop waste getting into the hands of unauthorised carriers, who may then resort to fly-tipping. This means if you pass waste to an unauthorised carrier then you may receive a £200 fixed penalty.

    The council advises that you make all reasonable checks to ensure that anyone collecting your waste has a waste carrier licence, and obtain a waste transfer note. You should gather as much details as possible including vehicle registrations so that if the waste is found fly tipped the offender can be traced.

    Householders can easily avoid falling victim to fly tippers by taking waste to their nearest Household Recycling Centre or pay a small fee for the Council’s Bulk Collection Service to take their waste away.

    To help us catch people who fly tip, every time we have an instance we will post a description and pictures of what has been dumped in our countryside and in your local community. If you recognise what has been dumped, be it the wall paper, tiling, the furniture etc, or you know who in the particular area has recently had work done that may have resulted in the fly tipping, then please contact us confidentially so we can catch the culprits.
    Any information that is supplied to us will be in the strictest of confidence.
  • Street Cleaning Open or Close

    We cleanse roads, footpaths, car parks and other public areas across the area to keep our district clean and healthy. We are responsible for:

    Removing of litter & detritus
    Sweeping roads and footpaths
    Removing fly tipped waste
    Removing dead animals from the highway
    Emptying litter and dog waste bins

    If you are concerned about the condition of a footpath, road or street, please use our ‘Do it Online’ services to report the issue.

Environment contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242424
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top