Council Tax

  • Appeals Open or Close
    There are many circumstances in which you may make an appeal against your property's banding. For example there may have been a structural change, part or all of the property may have been demolished or there may have been changes in the area that might affect the value.

    You may also appeal against the banding of a new property or against an alteration in your banding made by the Valuation Office.
    If you have recently moved house, you have six months from the date you moved in to make an appeal.

    Appeals should be made to the Valuation Office at the following address:

    The Valuation Office Agency
    Listing Officer
    Council Tax East
    Ground Floor
    Ferrers House
    Castle Meadow Road
    NG2 1AB

    Main Switchboard Tel: 03000 501 501

    For full details of the grounds for appealing against your banding visit the Valuation Office web site at www.voa.gov.uk
    If you do make an appeal against your banding you must still pay your council tax bill. If your appeal is successful, your bill will be adjusted and any overpayments will be refunded to you.
  • Band Charges Open or Close
    The amount payable depends on the value of the property and, whilst Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993, the valuations are based on the open market values as at 1st April 1991. All domestic properties are valued and placed in one of eight valuation bands by the Independent Valuation Agency.  A Listing Officer at the Valuation Office is responsible for compiling, maintaining and notifying the Council of the banding of a property.
    Please use the what's my council tax calculator on this page for your area's tax band.

    The eight valuation bands are:

    Band A - Values not exceeding £40,000  
    Band B - Over £40,000 but not over £52,000 
    Band C - Over £52,000 but not over £68,000
    Band D - Over £68,000 but not over £88,000 
    Band E - Over £88,000 but not over £120,000
    Band F - Over £120,000 but not over £160,000
    Band G - Over £160,000 but not over £320,000
    Band H - Values exceeding £320,000 

    Each band is subject to a different level of tax; Band A will have the lowest tax and Band H the highest.  The relevant band for your dwelling will be shown on your Council Tax bill
    Check your council tax band at Directgov by clicking here
  • Change of Circumstances Open or Close
    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    Moving House
    If you qualify for a discount disregard  
    Someone has passed away  
    If you live alone  
    If someone has moved in with you  
    Any other changes?  e.g.  Change of Name, Change in method of payment.  

    Please fill in the Change of Circumstances (478KB) form if any of the changes affect you, or telephone us using the contact details on this page.

  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    From April 2013 Council Tax Benefit ended and was replaced by a localised scheme known as Council Tax Support (835kb).

    The scheme that we have adopted is as follows:

    • The calculation remains unchanged, with the same rules applied as with Council Tax Benefit. However, any person of 'working age' will be subject to an 8.5% reduction in their calculated benefit entitlement.

    For example, a person with a weekly Council Tax liability of £20.00 that previously qualified for maximum benefit e.g. £20.00 per week will now only be entitled to £18.30 per week. A person with a weekly Council Tax liability of £20.00 per week that previously qualified for £10.00 per week will now only be entitled to £9.15 per week.

    The above changes apply to all 'working age' claimants except those in receipt of either a war disablement pension or a war widows pension.

    Regulations set by Central Government state that the above changes cannot be applied to claimants of a pensionable age. A person is a pensioner if they have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit and they are not, or, if they have a partner, their partner is not in receipt of income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or universal credit.

    Social Fund Maternity and Funeral Expenses

    Whilst Pensioner's will not be directly affected by the ending of Council Tax Benefit and the introduction of Council Tax Support this change may impact upon any future claim's under the Department for Work and Pensions Funeral Scheme.

    Previously, entitlement to Council Tax Benefit automatically qualified both working and pensionable age claimants to assistance from the Funeral Scheme. This scheme exists to provide assistance to those 'least well off' in meeting the costs of a funeral for a family member or friend that they are responsible for. Pensioners may lose the right to automatic qualification once Council Tax Benefit ends in April 2013.

    If you would like further information regarding Social Fund Maternity and Funeral Expenses please visit:

  • Discounts Open or Close
    If you consider that a property you own is uninhabitable you should provide us with full details. The Council Tax visiting officer may have to carry out an internal inspection. As a guide, a damp proof course, new windows, new kitchen/bathroom do not make a property uninhabitable for Council Tax purposes. If ownership of a property changes it will not renew entitlement to this discount.
    In addition, certain people are not counted when calculating the number of residents in a dwelling, These are called 'disregarded persons'. If someone in your household falls into one of the specified classed listed you may be entitled to a discount.
     The main categories are:
     With any discount we will seek confirmation of your status and eligibility. If you believe you are entitled to a discount please contact us immediately. Following the award of any discount you must notify us immediately if your situation alters and the circumstances giving rise to a discount change.
  • Exemptions Open or Close

    There are circumstances when no Council Tax is payable. However, this depends on individual circumstances and these are highlighted in our Exemption Classes document.

    You should pay full Council Tax at your main residence and you can claim a discount on an empty property or a second home. Some empty properties may be exempt from charge for up to a year.

    Exempt Property Classes

  • General Council Tax Information Open or Close

    The Council Tax that you pay is used to help finance the services provided by not only Bolsover District Council but also by the following authorities:

    • Derbyshire County Council
    • Derbyhire county Council - Adult Social Care
    • Derbyshire Police Authority
    • Derbyshire Fire and Rescue
    • Parish Councils (if applicable)

    The Council Tax is then calculated after taking into account the grants received from Central Government. Council Tax is charged for every property within the District. There is one bill per household and Council Tax is all due and payable on 1st April each year. However, legislation allows for 10 monthly instalments, but as of April 2013, legislation now also allows for 12 monthly instalments. To request this you must apply to us either in writing or by email.


    Bolsover District Council Council tax Information by Revenues, Income and Parish

    Derbyshire County Council Financial Information 2020-21


    When contacting us:

    Please be aware that we can only discuss an account with the person named on the bill. If you want someone else to be able to contact us on your behalf please fill in our Third Party Authorisation form and return to the Council.

    Please note

     From the 15th February 2018 and to comply with regulation, the Authority will not be able to process card payments from customers using the web browsers listed here.

  • How To Pay Open or Close

    Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevent contact details are on the contacts box on this page:

    • Direct Debit payments - this is the quickest and most convenient way to pay your bill. You can set up a Direct Debit by either telephoning us on 01246 242440 or by completing the Direct Debit (1.34MB) mandate. You can choose to pay on 1st, 7th, 15th, 21st or 28th of each month.
    • Telephone - You can pay through your own bank's telephone/on-line services
    • Pay online - You can make payments on our website through our secure payments page. **
    • You can pay by cash or debit card at the kiosks at any of our Contact Centres in Bolsover, Clowne, Shirebrook or South Normanton
    • Debit Card - You can pay by Debit Card over the telephone. Please ring 0300 4560503 and follow the step-by-step instructions.  You can ring at any time, the service is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 

    From the 15th February 2018 and to comply with regulation, the Authority will not be able to process card payments from customers using the web browsers listed here.

    If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite.

  • Recovery Open or Close

    If you are experiencing financial difficulties in paying your Council Tax bill you need to tell us immediately so we can help you. Please do not wait until you are behind with your payments before seeking advice. We have also introduced our own Debt Recovery Policy (223kb).

    The Law Says...Council Tax becomes due on 1st April each year. However, under normal circumstances the law allows payment to be spread over 10 months from April to January, reducing as the year progresses. You are only entitled to be sent up to two reminders for Council Tax before losing the right to pay by instalments.

    This is how it works...

    1. On the first occasion that you fail to pay an instalment by the due date (this is the date specified on your bill) a reminder will be sent to you. If you pay the amount requested promptly at this stage and remain up-to-date with payments you will maintain the right to pay by instalments. If, however, you fail to pay the amount requested by the due date, a summons will be issued. The summons will increase your debt as court costs will be added and you will lose the right to pay by instalments for the rest of the year. The whole of the year's Council Tax, which remains outstanding will become payable immediately.
    2. If you have had one reminder and paid it promptly, but then fail to pay by the due date a second time, the same procedures as above will apply.
    3. If you fail to pay on time for a third time in a year you will be sent a final reminder. This means the right to pay by instalments will be lost for the remainder of the year, even if you brought your account up-to-date on the previous occasions. The whole amount for the year must be paid in full within 7 days. If you fail to pay the full amount a summons will be issued and court costs added to your account. Please pay on time to avoid any additional costs.

    What to do if you have received a Council Tax summons

    1. If you have been sent a summons, it will be because our records show that you were sent a Council Tax bill requiring instalment payment on specified dates. You were then sent a reminder informing you that one or more instalments were overdue. The reminder warned you that you would lose your right to pay by instalments if a payment was not made within 7 days. As you have not paid, this right has now been withdrawn and the summons is for the full amount outstanding for the year including costs incurred to date which are now added to the sum due.
    2. If you paid your bill recently, have already paid all outstanding instalments shortly before receiving the summons, or if the summons is incorrect in any way then you need to contact our Recovery Section to ensure that your payment has been correctly credited to your account and to discuss your case. If the summons is subsequently withdrawn by the Council, please help us by ensuring your future instalments are paid by the due date. The best way to ensure that your instalments reach us on time is to pay by Direct Debit (1.3mb). If you have a bank account you can take advantage of this easy option; a direct debit can be set up over the telephone.
    3. If the court decides that Council Tax has been set correctly and all documents issued in accordance with legislation, and that you have not paid the full amount outstanding, it will grant us a "liability order". This order will give us power to obtain payment in a number of ways, as we may choose. These include your account being passed to the Council's Enforcement Agents, deductions from earnings or Income Support/JSA/ESA, charging order, bankruptcy proceedings, committal to prison.
    4. Once the summons is correctly issued, the proceedings can be stopped only by making payment in full. This payment must be received by us before the date of the court hearing. Post dated cheques will not be accepted. It is important that your case is easily identified as one to be stopped. To enable us to do this, please write your account reference and summons number on the reverse of your cheque. If paying by cash, please enclose a note showing your account reference and summons number. Payments will not be accepted at the court.
    5. If you are unable to pay the full amount immediately, you need to contcat our Recovery Section immediately.

    If you have not already claimed Council Tax Support, you may wish to do so now. However, this will not prevent further action on this summons.

    Should I attend the Court?

    It is your right to attend the court hearing to present your case if you feel that you are not liable for the amount shown on the summons. However, the only legal reasons why a liability order will not be granted are that the amount has not been legally demanded or that it has been paid. It is easier, quicker and cheaper to sort out all matters before the hearing by contacting our Recovery Section.

    When you attend court, the court staff will be available to direct you to the court room where the application will be heard. While every effort will be made to ensure the application will be dealt with on the date specified in the summons sent to you, in the event that there is insufficient court time for it to be heard on that day, you will then be given details of the date and time you are next required to attend court.

    For independent advice and information you can contact your local:

Council Tax contacts

  • Tel: 01246 242440
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Alt. tel: 01246 242424

Popular Questions

Go to top