Planning Policy Documents
Development Plan Open or Close
The development plan for the district is currently made up of the documents below read together. Where there is any conflict between the policies contained in these documents, the policy in the most recently published, adopted or approved document prevails.
Local Plan for Bolsover District
The Local Plan for Bolsover District was adopted by the Council on 4th March 2020.
Following its adoption, the Local Plan forms the key part of the Development Plan for Bolsover District and supersedes the Bolsover District Local Plan (February 2000) and all of the policies within that document.
The Local Plan for Bolsover District is an ambitious document which actively tackles the issues we face today in seeking to achieve sustainable growth. It is underpinned by sound evidence and a spatial strategy that retains the District’s distinctive identity whilst providing the growth that is needed for the District to prosper and flourish. This means that it plans for the right amount and type of homes to meet our needs, in the right places with the right infrastructure in place to support all residents and businesses going forward.
The Local Plan for Bolsover District and its related documents can be viewed below:
- Local Plan for Bolsover District
- Adoption Statement
- Sustainability Appraisal Report
- Habitats Regulations Assessment
Note: The Local Plan policy maps above are for viewing only as they contain data supplied by Ordnance Survey and are therefore protected by copyright law. Use of this data is subject to terms and conditions:
i) “You are granted a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable licence solely to view the Licensed Data for non-commercial purposes for the period during which Bolsover District Council makes it available;
ii) you are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, sell or otherwise make available the Licensed data to third parties in any form.
By opening the .pdf maps you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.
© Crown Copyright and database right (2018) Ordnance Survey (100019526)
Derby and Derbyshire Minerals and Waste Local Plans
The Derby and Derbyshire Minerals Local Plan (as altered in November 2002) sets out planning policies for minerals development. Most of its policies have been saved and will remain in force until they are replaced by new development plan documents. The Minerals Plan is supplemented by Supplementary Planning Guidance on the After-uses of Sand and Gravel Sites.
The Derby and Derbyshire Waste Local Plan (March 2005) sets out planning policies for waste development. All but one policy (policy W1A) of the Derby and Derbyshire Waste Local Plan, adopted in March 2005, have been saved beyond March 2008.
Proposals for the replacement of these policies are contained within the Minerals and Waste Development Scheme prepared jointly by Derbyshire County Council and Derby City Council.
We maintain a database of parties interested in the preparation of the Local Plan for Bolsover District, such as those people who have made representations during consultation exercises or have expressed interest in being on the database during the preparation of the new Local Plan.
If you have provided us with an email address then you will have an online account. By clicking on this link you will be able to log in and then review your representations or update your contact details if they change.
If you are not on our database but want to be, you can create a new account to ensure you are notified about the next steps or consulted on options for the Local Plan for Bolsover District.
For more information on the Council’s approach to involving the community within plan making and on planning applications, please see the Statement of Community Involvement.
Supplementary Planning Documents Open or Close
Draft Supplementary Planning Documents
A Draft Parking Standards Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) has been prepared that will support the new Local Plan policy ITCR11: Parking Provision.
The draft SPD was subject to public consultation between Monday 3rd December 2018 and Friday 4th January 2019 and the representations received during that exercise have informed the Local Plan Examination’s consideration of any necessary Main Modifications to the Submitted Local Plan. For more information, please see the Local Plan Examination webpages.
It is intended that the draft SPD will also be amended and prepared for formal adoption alongside the new Local Plan for Bolsover District.
Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents
Whilst not part of the Development Plan, certain policies of the Bolsover District Local Plan are currently supported by the following supplementary planning documents:
- Affordable Housing SPG (February 2002) - The Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Guidance document was adopted in 2002 as a material consideration to provide further clarity and interpretation for policies HOU 6 & HOU 7 of the Bolsover District Local Plan. As these two policies were ‘saved’, they will remain in force until they are replaced by new policies in our New Local Plan.
- Historic Environment SPD (March 2006) - The Historic Environment Supplementary Planning Document was adopted in March 2006 to provide further clarity and interpretation for policies in the Bolsover District Local Plan in relation to listed buildings, conservation areas, conversion of historic agricultural buildings and archaeology. As these policies were ‘saved’, they will remain in force until they are replaced by new policies in our New Local Plan.
- New Bolsover Model Village Planning Guidelines SPG (November 2002 and updated October 2008) -The New Bolsover Model Village Planning Guidelines Supplementary Planning Guidance was adopted in 2002 as a material consideration to guide those proposing to carry out works to the Grade II listed New Bolsover Model Village houses by identifying the features which are important to the special architectural or historic interest of the properties.
The document was updated in October 2008 to include information on works for which listed building consent and planning permission have already been secured, to revise the information provided in the Building Regulation Consent section and to make changes to the contact details for the Council and the Building Control Service.
The New Bolsover Model Village Planning Guidelines Supplementary Planning Guidance provide further clarity and interpretation for policies in the Bolsover District Local Plan in relation to listed buildings and conservation areas. As these policies were ‘saved’, they will remain in force until they are replaced by new policies in our New Local Plan.
- Successful Places SPD (October 2013) - We adopted Successful Places: A Guide to Sustainable Housing Layout and Design as an Interim Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) on the 2nd October 2013.
The purpose of the Successful Places is to promote and achieve high quality residential development within the District by providing practical advice to all those involved in the design, planning and development of housing schemes. The guide is applicable to all new proposals for residential development, including mixed-use schemes that include an element of housing.
The guide currently supports the saved policies of the Bolsover District Local Plan and has been prepared to support the emerging policies of the New Local Plan and has been adopted to be used as a material consideration in the determination of planning applications.
Development Plan Monitoring (Evidence Base) Open or Close
The Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act requires the Council to undertake a number of monitoring duties. This webpage seeks to pull together the relevant information.
The Council has prepared Monitoring Reports on a largely annual basis since such reports were required by the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act.
These Monitoring Reports cover both the progress on the preparation of the Local Plan for Bolsover District and also the delivery of the previous Local Plan.
- Annual Monitoring 2016/17 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2015/16 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2014/15 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2013/14 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2012/13 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2011/12 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2010/11 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2009/10 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2008/09 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2007/08 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2006/07 - Report
- Annual Monitoring 2005/06 - Report
Survey of Area (Evidence Base)
The formal Monitoring Reports outline the range of studies and reports undertaken to survey Bolsover District. These studies and reports have been grouped along the following thematic areas:
Biodiversity and green infrastructure
- Register of Local Wildlife Sites (February 2018)
- Derbyshire WildlifeTrust Strategic Plan 2015-20 (December 2014)
- Green Space Quantity and Accessibility Report (April 2018)
- Green Space Strategy (April 2018) (2mb)
- Lowland Derbyshire Biodiversity Action Plan (November 2011) (12.8MB)
- Green Infrastructure Study for Bolsover (June 2008) (1.4MB)
- Green Infrastructure for the East Midlands - A Public Benefit Mapping Project (2008) (31.7MB)
- East Derbyshire Greenway Strategy (June 1998) 250kb)
- Renewable Energy and Low Carbon Study Review Paper (December 2017) (158KB)
- Renewable Energy and Low Carbon Study (May 2009) (1.1MB)
Community and wellbeing (including equalities and health)
BolsoverIndoor Facilities Strategy: Assessment Report (August 2017)
BolsoverPlaying Pitches Strategy: Assessment Report (August 2017)
BolsoverPlaying Pitches Strategy: Strategy & Action Plan (August 2017)
- Bolsover Sustainable Community Strategy 2006-2020 (2013) (2.4MB)
Economy and employment
Retail and Centres Study (April 2018)
Retail Land Availability Assessment (March 2018)
Employment Land Availability Assessment (March 2018)
Economic Development Needs Assessment (October 2015)
- report (3.3MB)
- review of employment sites plan 1 (4MB)
- review of employment sites plan 2 (3.3MB)
- review of employment sites plan 3 (3.2MB)
- review of employment sites plan 4 (3.1MB)
- review of employment sites plan 5 (2.5MB)
- Bolsover Economic Alignment Study (August 2018) (3.6MB)
- Historic Environment Listings in Bolsover District (October 2016) (680kb)
- Bolsover District Council Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Plans (various)
- New Bolsover Model Village Planning Guidelines SPG (October 2008) (1.7MB)
- Historic Environment SPD (March 2006) (4MB)
English Heritage Bolsover Castle Conservation Management Plan (2012)
- report part 1 (7.1MB)
- report part 2 (4.7MB)
- report part 3 (5.7MB)
- report part 4 (7.8MB)
- report part 5 (11MB)
Strategic Housing Market Assessment
- OAN Update Report (November 2017)
- Sensitivity Testing Analysis (March 2014)
- Housing Market Overview report (2.2MB)
- Bolsover District report (2MB)
Housing Land Availability Assessment (October 2017)
Derby, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park Authority and East Staffordshire Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (June 2015)
Gypsy and Traveller Land Availability Assessment (March 2018)
Travelling Showpeople Land Availability Assessment (March 2018)
Land and landscape
Development Envelope Review (February 2018) (27.6MB)
Partial Green Belt Review – Supplementary Assessment (November 2017)
Partial Green Belt Review (August 2017)
Important Open Breaks (August 2017) (4.6MB)
- Agricultural Land Classification (August 2010) (18.7MB)
- The Landscape Character of Derbyshire (2003)
- Infrastructure Study and Delivery Plan (March 2018) (7.4MB)
- Derbyshire County and Derbyshire City Joint Municipal Waste Management Strategy (July 2006) (963kb)
Population and Community
- Settlement Hierarchy Study (March 2018) (3.4MB)
Transport and Air Quality
Bolsover Town Transport Study
- Bolsover Town Transport Study (October 2016)
- Bolsover Town Transport Study Addendum (October 2017) (1.3MB)
Clowne Transport Study (October 2016)
- report (3MB)
- appendices A, B and C (2.1MB)
- appendix D (6.4MB)
- Clowne Transport Study Addendum (October 2017) (0.8 MB)
M1 Junction 29A Operational Capacity Assessment
- Updated committed developments report (January 2014) (4.4mb)
- Initial assessment report (July 2012) (301kb)
- Initial assessment report appendix 1 (July 2012) (285kb)
- Initial assessment report appendix 2 (July 2012) (1.4MB)
- Initial assessment report appendix 3 (July 2012) (1.8MB)
North Derbyshire Highway Assignment Model Traffic Forecasting Report (April 2012)
North Derbyshire Transport Study Part 2b - Traffic Impacts Cumulative (February 2012)
- report (2MB)
- appendix (1.4MB)
- Derbyshire County Council Local Transport Plan 3 2001-2026 (April 2011) 2.2MB)
- Sheffield City Region Transport Strategy 2011-2026 (April 2011)
North Derbyshire Transport Study Part 2a - Traffic Impacts Bolsover District (May 2010)
North Derbyshire Transport Study Part 1 - Strategic Transport Issues Report (March 2010)
Network Rail East Midlands Route Utilisation Strategy (February 2010) (7.3MB)
Whole Plan Viability Assessment (March 2018) (2.4mb)
- Outline Water Cycle Study (October 2010) (3.2MB)
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (March 2009)